Wild Bird In Middle Of Ground Let Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So this beautiful tiny yellow, grey, brown, and navy was lying on the steps of my padio. We literally just walked up to him and my niece picked him up and held him for a while (very carefully). When my nephew tried to hold it as well, the bird flew away to a low branch. Then my oldest niece gently lifted the bird out of the tree and held it in an open palm so that it could move or fly away freely. The bird made no struggle and was visibly fine. Finally, the bird flew to the top of our tree. Is this normal?

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, not at all and next time you need to hold it you should hold it with gloves on to prevent passing diseases to the bird and vice versa. Since it was on the patio, I'm guessing it crashed into the window.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should always handle an injured bird with gloves on, not bare hands.
@Mary765 did mention that you CAN handle a hatchling without gloves, and the mother will not abandon the baby.
The reason to not handle a bird, hatchling or otherwise, is to keep it from getting sick and passing along disease. Birds can't really smell and won't reject a hatchling because of smell since they can't smell.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The reason to not handle a bird, hatchling or otherwise, is to keep it from getting sick and passing along disease. Birds can't really smell and won't reject a hatchling because of smell since they can't smell.
Yes, I referenced to that

OP
akcarroll12

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you all for your responses. we did wash our hands very well before handling, but we will be sure to use gloves if something like this ever again occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.8%

Top Bottom