Wild Bird In Middle Of Ground Let Hold

Discussion in 'Birds' started by akcarroll12, Apr 24, 2018.

1. akcarroll12Well Known MemberMember

So this beautiful tiny yellow, grey, brown, and navy was lying on the steps of my padio. We literally just walked up to him and my niece picked him up and held him for a while (very carefully). When my nephew tried to hold it as well, the bird flew away to a low branch. Then my oldest niece gently lifted the bird out of the tree and held it in an open palm so that it could move or fly away freely. The bird made no struggle and was visibly fine. Finally, the bird flew to the top of our tree. Is this normal?

2. RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

No, that's not really normal. It may be sick, injured by another animal, or it could be dazed from crashing into a window.

3. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

Not normal, agree with above post.

4. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

No, not at all and next time you need to hold it you should hold it with gloves on to prevent passing diseases to the bird and vice versa. Since it was on the patio, I'm guessing it crashed into the window.

5. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

You should always handle an injured bird with gloves on, not bare hands.
    @Mary765 did mention that you CAN handle a hatchling without gloves, and the mother will not abandon the baby.

6. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

The reason to not handle a bird, hatchling or otherwise, is to keep it from getting sick and passing along disease. Birds can't really smell and won't reject a hatchling because of smell since they can't smell.

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I referenced to that :)

8. akcarroll12Well Known MemberMember

thank you all for your responses. we did wash our hands very well before handling, but we will be sure to use gloves if something like this ever again occurs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice