Wild Betta Smaragdina Breeding progress *Daily update from Start to fry*

Sribz

Welcome to my breeding progress thread, going to try my best to update this when anything interesting happens, these were wild caught by myself and conditioned ready for breeding, the male and female are in good form. I'am very lucky to be able to go out and catch these but please note that I catch, breed, re-release almost all my fry and keep only the best looking males and female for future spawns, Never thought about selling as I just do this as a side hobby but perhaps in the future maybe.

Breeding wilds is a little more challenging than normal Betta's as it's very hard to pair a male and female together, and even if after you pair them the male still has a high chance of killing the female if she can't take a beating. Water quality also needs to be close to their natural water, chlorinated tap water just doesn't do it, what I do is pure rain water and almond leaves which works 99.9% of the time.

Bubblenest was moved from another male and put into his tank to speed up the process a little, the female should be put into the same exact water of the males tank the night before to get her used to the PH and quality of the water, wilds are very sensitive to water changes and new environment which is why I always have rain water stored outside with in them to make the water soft, water is about 5-6 inch deep.

I'm expecting anywhere from 50-100 fry considering how plump the female is, Main conditioning diet is Moina, Daphnia or mosquito larvae (I don't like Mosquito larvae too much as it bloats my fish, but I would feed both the male/female 4-5 of them an hour or two before I add them together.

First fry meal would be micro organism for the first 2-3 days, and then I'll move to Moina, microworms is great to but I've noticed high deform rates in the later stages so I try to stay away as much as possible but as a starting food it's great as its very small.

Will update this thread, when I see changes such as eggs, fry's ect.

chromedome52

NIce fish, decent photos. I will be watching this thread for progress!

Sribz

First few embraces this morning, no signs of eggs yet usually they will wrap for around 30 minutes before any eggs is dropped, will keep an eye on it and try to get some egg release photo. This female is PLUMP expecting a good yield from this spawn!

9/9/16

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joshaeus
  • Question
Replies
Views
Saju
Replies
Views
Yixrjvr58