Wild Axolotls In Idaho?

1. Lena Rain

Lena Rain New Member Member

So I know wild axolotls are only supposed to be in one lake in Mexico or something, but I found a little ditch on the side of the road in Lowell, Idaho, and it has like, 100 1-2 inch axolotls in it! I caught 2, (there was only 1 pink leucistic one that I saw, which I got, and the other was a green wildtype) and named them Bullet and Pink Floyd. (you can guess which is which.) Anyway, I have been taking care of them for about a week now, and they have been eating the earthworms I have cut into baby sized portions, and they look happy an healthy. They are growing fast and show no signs of problems or stress. I am keeping the water temp around 60 degrees Farenhiet, so thats good. I don't have a tank yet, so they are in a big chocolate almond container with big rocks on the bottom and a peice of moss for a place to kind of hide.
    Basically I'm just confused as to how there are wild axolotls in Idaho!
    And I'm hoping for some advice on how to take care of them.
    Thanks!

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

My bet is that someone dumped them there and the conditions were right so they bred.

3. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

That was one of my first guesses, but I have no clue how they survived. The water where they were was super warm. And I'm worried that they are all going to die, but I can only keep two with the money and supplies that I have. Hoping to keep at least my two little guys(or girls) alive.

4. Discus-Tang

There really is no other way for them to get there! Maybe culls from a store?

5. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

Thanks.
    any advice on how to keep Bullet and Floyd alive and well? They both eat a piece of worm about 1 cm. long
    every other day, usually not more.
    Bullet (green wildtype one) actually threw up his worm a day after I gave it to him the first time, but I have gotten him to eat fine since then.

6. Discus-Tang

Keep the water cold, do lots of water changes (they are messy) and feed them a variety of foods. Since they are growing you should feed them every day.

7. Marlin

Marlin Valued Member Member

I'm so jealous...I've always wanted to get a pair of them :( but its great to hear that there are some wild ones still out there.

8. W

Why me Valued Member Member

Could you post pictures

9. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

actually no, all i have is a laptop and It needs wifi to take pictures, and I only have wifi in town. (I don't want to bring them all the way into town, I try to move them as little as possible to keep their stress levels down)

10. wodesorel

wodesorel Valued Member Member

Are you sure you didn't scoop up wild salamander larvae? You have some large species in Idaho and they have the same frills as axolotls.

11. G

GirlFriday New Member Member

what a find! I went and looked them up and aren't they just the cutest? No advice, sorry, but good luck!!
    Looks like i might need another tank, lol.

12. OP
    OP
    Lena Rain

Speaking of moving them, does anybody have any advice on how to do that and keep stress levels down in the proccess? I'm moving soon and I need to know that they will be okay

no, I'm absolutley positive they are axolotls. I have done a lot of reasearch, and have spoken with my mother and grandfather, who raised them axolotls when my mother was younger.

13. Discus-Tang

Use stress coat and drip acclimate them when moving.

14. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would check out YouTube for info. Solid Gold Aquatics has a pair & she seems to have solid info about her other animals, so I would probably trust her for these.