Wild And Fancy Betta Breeding?

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by StrawberriBetta, Aug 3, 2017.

1. S

StrawberriBetta New Member Member

I'm asking purely out of curiosity and don't plan to test this myself but I just can't seem to find an answer. Is it possible for "Wild" bettas (duller ones found in nature) to breed or be bred with "fancy" bettas? (The typical store-bought ones). Nevermind the difference in behaviors or attitudes which might hinder the action, I just want to know if it's physically possible to have a half wild half fancy Betta fish, or are the species incompatible? If so could anyone direct me to more info or possibly pictures of the coupling? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

I'd imagine it's very possible, but you won't get any fancy ones, you'll just get more wild ones. The fancy genes are recessive to the wild genes. Genetically they will be half splendens half whatever the wild species was, but visually they will be almost exactly like the wild species. They will have slight differences as the wild splendens genes will become dominant and will influence some things, but for the most part they'll resemble the wild parent. You might start getting more fancy traits further down the line, especially if you breed the hybrids with pure fancy splendens, but for the initial hybridization you'll get fry that resemble the wild species for the most part.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  3. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

You could just breed wild betta splenden to a fancy betta splenden. The results would would be more of a HMPK look but with the natural colors and the more natural body style .

4. Supreme Sawk

Supreme Sawk Valued Member Member

Wild Betta splendens essentially don't exist any more, so many were took from their natural habitat to breed that other species took over their habitat and rendered them virtually extinct. That's what I recall reading anyway.

5. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

They are rare but they do indeed still exist. I have a buddy in Thailand who breeds the wild strain and releases them to try and bring back the population. Although it isn't a substantial number, he's recorded releasing about 500 wild strained Betta splenden

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice