Wiggling pleco

Sabi
Wiggling pleco= Ick!

HI there.
As the heading states, I noticed my little L260 wiggling his tail every now and then. Checked for flukes= No. Ick? I checked. But I really don't see spots. At first I thought I saw slight spots but when I checked again I didnt see any. I raised the temp to 85 just as a precaution. Do I have a problem here?

Butterfly
Is he wiggling like he itches or is he moving the gravel to make a bed ? those are terrible about making little depressions to lay in.
carol

Tom
Is he wiggling like he itches or is he moving the gravel to make a bed ? those are terrible about making little depressions to lay in.
carol

My L52 do the same thing. But they also do that to repostion themselves on the glass/bottom/decor so they can try and more food.
Tom

Sabi
My L52 do the same thing. But they also do that to repostion themselves on the glass/bottom/decor so they can try and more food.
Tom
Well yes he does it on the decor as well as on the gravel.
How would he wiggle only for itching? I know that he flicks his tail back and forth.
Today I shook him out of the log he was in and had a good look at him. I DID notice small spots on the brown parts of him!!! HELP!
What can I do? I rased the temp to 85' that's all. I can't put salt/medi. What else is possible????

Tom
Well yes he does it on the decor as well as on the gravel.
How would he wiggle only for itching? I know that he flicks his tail back and forth.
Today I shook him out of the log he was in and had a good look at him. I DID notice small spots on the brown parts of him!!! HELP!
What can I do? I rased the temp to 85' that's all. I can't put salt/medi. What else is possible????

The pleco would swim and then turn it's body and brush it's body against something in the tank to scratch. Ich takes about 2 weeks to be gone with the temp being that high.
Tom

Sabi
The pleco would swim and then turn it's body and brush it's body against something in the tank to scratch.

I've not seen him doing this...

Ich takes about 2 weeks to be gone with the temp being that high.
Tom

Its high enough, isn't it?

Tom
Its high enough, isn't it?

Ich can't live in water higher then 85F. It just speeds up their breeding process which makes it to unstab;e to survive on a fish.
Tom

Butterfly
Raising the temp is the thing to do, leave it for 14 days and do more frequent water changes. Warm water has less oxygen and the water changes supply more oxygen. Keep us posted.
carol

MagpieTear
I keep seeing these references to Plecos as L. Are they known and cataloged variants of the species? If so, is there a good reference to them?

Butterfly
I keep seeing these references to Plecos as L. Are they known and cataloged variants of the species? If so, is there a good reference to them?
Yes the L numbers are designation for plecs. Sabis L260 is commonly called a Queen Arebesque. When different species of plecs are found they are given L numbers until they are studied and then named but a lot of people use the L number to ID fish because it is more precise than the common name. Some Plecs have different common names in differ locales so the L numbers are better for an exact ID.
The best place I have found for good referencing on Plecs is at planet catfish
this is Sabis plec

carol

MagpieTear
Thanks! That's a bunch of plecos! There goes my evening...

Butterfly
Thanks! That's a bunch of plecos! There goes my evening...
LOL I love Plecos also.
Carol

Sabi
Right. The temps been 85'f for a week now. I've rasied to 86'f. Happy to say he came out today for the marrow. Havent seen him out during the day for 4 days. He used to sit in the log and wiggle away.
hoping....hoping...waiting!

Oh and Carol, I put in another oxyfilter to keep the water cleaner. Will do water change twice aweek.

Tom

IMO, the L numbers are another form of the scientific name.
Tom

Butterfly
IMO, the L numbers are another form of the scientific name.
Tom
actually they were used before the Plecs had a scientific name then after they were studied and described they were given scientific names.
Sounds good SabI
carol

Kevin
good luck w/ getting rid of the ick...i've heard the temp only needs to be around 83-84...that's where I had it when I had an ick outbreak, and it went away, and hasn't been back

Sabi
I notice my Kuhlis have got it too. I got them just before I found the ick, mores the pity. So far no other fish have got it, lets hope it stays this way!
However the spots on the L260 are considerably less.......

Butterfly
I notice my Kuhlis have got it too. I got them just before I found the ick, mores the pity. So far no other fish have got it, lets hope it stays this way!
However the spots on the L260 are considerably less.......
Glad to hear there's improvement just keep up what your doing and they will be fine. If you still see a few spots at teh end of 14 days I would continue as you are for another 5 days to make sure its gone. If you have another outbreak it seems it's twice as hard to get rid of. Just some thoughts.
carol

Sabi
Appreciate it.

Sabi
The L260 has no more spots! The kuhli's though still have a bit so i'm going to keep the temp as is until I see its cleared up completely?
Thanks for the help ppl!

Butterfly
The L260 has no more spots! The kuhli's though still have a bit so i'm going to keep the temp as is until I see its cleared up completely?
Thanks for the help ppl!
Great news for the L260. Yeah keeping the temps up a bit longer won't hurt anything. Good Job!
Carol

Sabi
Thanks Carol!
All clear! No more spots, I lowered the temp to 84'f.

Butterfly
YAY!!! No more spots!!! You could even lower it to 82F. Good luck
Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Troyee219
Replies
Views
RonJ
Replies
Views