WIGGLERS!!!!!!!!!! I GOT WIGGLERS!!!!!

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yippie i finally got to the wiggler stage. Just got home from work and decided to check on my babies. I thought all had died cause i couldn't find them on the slate. So i inspected the floor of the tank and there they were. All my little wigglers. I am so excited my boyfriend thinks i was going crazy but now he saw them. hahahahahaha.. this is so cool.. so now what should i do... I have a sponge on the filter so they can't get sucked up into it. and the bottom of the tank is clear no snails or gravel just glass.

YIPPIE......... ;D ;D ;D WIGGLERS!!!

Heidi

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok did a water change today an used some extra air hose to suck up the rest of the white eggs. At last count I still had 10 wigglers....

HEidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep it is certainly cool!!! Keep up the 50% water changes everyday. They won't need anything to eat for at least 3-4 days. Then you can give them fresh hatched brine shrimp or thawed frozen brine shrimp. Thawed frozen mysis shrimp would be ideal. After feeding, Give them about 10 minutes then vacuum up the leftovers. good Luck!
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
CONGRATS !!! Aren't they cute!?

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok thanks will do that and will let you know what happens

HEidi

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think breeding fishes is really fun. Congrats! ;D

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks they are so cute just wigglin their lil tails. how long before they are free swimming???? I have 8 left that are still wigglin'

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually three to four days. If you look real close with a magnifying glass you can see that their yolk sac is gone. They won't eat until then, I wait until it's gone and feed teh next day.
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok so is it 3-4 days after hatching or 3-4 after becoming wigglers?? that is where i get confused. So far still have them all and they are still attached to the sacs or are those their tummies and the thing by their heads. have been changing the water also. Next time am using a bottle the ten gallon tank is just a tad too big for doing all ofthese water changes and the lil wigglers..... Ok will update again tomorrow
Thanks carol for helping me... and isabella too.. you guys are great

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
3-4 days from wiggler stage
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
ok thanks carol I have read that many places but they never explain when to go from. That is very helpful.. They are getting close .. was sucking up some more debris and they are starting to try and swim now so hopefully tomorrow they will take off...

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aren't they funny, sometimes they just go around in circles
It's usually 3-4 days from egg to wiggler and 3-4 days from wigglers to free swimming give or take a day. I really think the temp has alot to do with it. I always kept my fry tanks at about 80 F. Then on one batch I raised it to 82F. The eggs hatched faster and all the stages proceeded faster but the fry were smaller when they went free swimming. So just made sense to me. More seemed to survive when it takes them a little longer to go through the stages. Does that make sense?
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
yip just like cooking meat if ya do it longer but at lower temp you get more juicy meat.... same as fish take your time and don't over heat and you will get better results. jesh after having to wait nine months to have my kids you think 6-8 days wouldn't be that hard to do.. hehehe... they are starting to swim a little more just got some more gunk out of the water so maybe that will help.. The temp has been at 80 the whole time minus 1-2 degress when changing water. but always goes back to 80...

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good to me The water change fun really starts when they go free swimming, just try siphoning around all those tiny little bodies LOL thats why I always siphon fry tanks into a bucket, mush easier to scoop back in the tank.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I forgot what size tank the babies are in If its not too big you can use needlepoint plastic(You know square with holes in it) to gently scoot all the babies down to one end while you siphon and clean their tank. Just an idea
Carol

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is a good idea. I siphoned them into a jar for now so I don't have to change so much water. So when I clean the tank they aren't in there. Less chance of loosing one. but the plastic canvas thing is a very good idea. just have to get the really small holed ones. the babies are really small i'd have to guess they are about the size of a baal of a needle with heads and tails sticking off of it.

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep they are really tiny But at about four weeks teh have tiny little fins and are so cute so they will grow fast.
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
oooh!!! it is so exciting watching them grow!! You will have to post pics as they get bigger!! I love babies!! Congrats-- LILA

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I hope I can get them to make it that long. This is the longest I have gotten to get them to grow so far. Of course there will be pics.... I'd take some now is they would show up.. maybe will try to get some and see what happens. So far they are still really small and not free awimming yet but they are trying...

Heidi

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Baby steps
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom