Wife's new 20g help

1. Ap05 Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone. My wife got a 20g today. Marineland kit that was on sale at petsmart that has the bio wheel filter included. I've had tanks forever but never a 20.

She really wants a saltwater tank but neither of has the first idea on where to start.... What's needed... Etc. Any and every detail any of you guys could post to help us to get started would be a great help.

On the other hand, we may go the freshwater route which is more up my ally. She's having a hard time deciding what fish she would like after its cycled. I suggested one angel and a few tetras but she doesn't like angelfish. She would like a cichlid tank, but I've only ever dealt with angels as cichlids.

Any freshwater stocking ideas? I'm wishing I had got one too :p Thanks!

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Apistogrammas (various species) and German Blue Rams are my suggestions for cichids for a 20 gallon tank. One or the other, not both. Usually you combine them with some sort of dither fish. Pencilfish if you want to save the fry, or if not, any small schooling fish, such as neons.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I would not do saltwater myself. It requires getting even more equipment ;) What is your tap water's pH and if possible KH like? I'll suggest something after you tell us.