Wife's 5.5gal build for future Betta

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ursinos, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Ursinos

UrsinosValued MemberMember

Thought I'd share the setup we put together for my wife to get herself a Betta. It's not completely finished yet, as she wants to get more plants for it lol. (I opened up one of a can of worms when I got MY aquarium, I tell you.)

We picked it up as a kit from Big Als, and I just know we're likely going to upgrade the filter in pretty quick order (it's just a Tetra Whisper PF10, and the impeller is pretty noisy compared to the biowheel I have on mine), but it's enough to get her started.

Plant on the right is a plastic glow in the dark, plant on the left is Anubias Bertari (roundleaf) tied to a bit of petrified wood. Funny thing is, she's got better lighting in hers than I do in mine. She's got a 10 watt CFL (grow light) bulb. So, pretty good watts per gallon for her little tank. That anubias should grow like crazy.

anyway, here's the pic.

[​IMG]

Wife is paranoid because the clerk at the store says all their bettas are kept in RO water, so she insisted on buying a 5gal jug of their RO water to do the first fill. We'll investigate slowly adding tapwater to it over time (maybe, not sure)

2. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

What are the parameters of your tap water? I wouldn't do RO because then you have to add in the minerals the process of RO took out. Everything I have read on it seems pretty complex going that route.

3. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

our tap water is 180ppm gH/kH and pH is 8.2. The guy at the store said that the only thing they add to the RO water for the bettas in store is their water conditioner and bio-support additive.

Like I said, the plan is to hopefully start adding in tapwater with every water change to gradually acclimate the betta (once we get it) to our municipal supply.

4. clk89

clk89Fishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure about GH/KH but your PH at 8.2 for a betta is just fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

I've been told by others on here that we could have drip acclimated a betta to our tapwater just fine, but my wife is being a bit paranoid about it. She's read so many websites that say bettas need a lower pH and lower hardness. And what with the guy at the story saying the bettas are kept in RO water, she wanted to play it safe.

I love her, so I indulged her. The 5gal of RO water from the store was only 12 bucks, and we we will be diluting it with tap water over time, so it should work out well in the long run.

6. AtreyusMomValued MemberMember

Cute lil tank! I'm sure the betta will be very happy :) Where did you get the petrified wood?

7. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

Hey, safer is better. And a little bit of more plants won't hurt in fact it would benefit the betta. Perhaps a little piece of driftwood and add some anubias nana. For a small tank anubias nana is one of the best as it won't grow as large or long like java fern. Good for your wife of her researching. The more you research the better. Do you have chlorine remover over in Canada or is the tap water usually fine? Not really sure about Canadian water. You can do drip acclimation if you ever heard of it. Its pretty simple.

8. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

We got it at big Al's, they sell it by the pound

9. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

Will keep the anubias Nana in mind. Wife is set on getting some water wisteria for the tank, lol.

Our water here is chlorinated, so yeah, we use water conditioner for the water changes in my 20gal tank

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I would just change about 10% of the water every day or every other day for a week or two and then the beta should be acclimated to your tap water.

I have a 5.5 gallon beta tank as well and have a crypt wendtii and a java fern. The beta loves them

11. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

was thinking about doing it slower even than that, but it all depends on wife. She's being super paranoid about the setup lol.

It's hilarious, she JUST turned around and told me "oh, I guess betta's are good in our water as long as the pH stays stable..." after consulting a local fish group...

I've been saying that to her for 2 weeks lol!

12. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

well...husbands don't know anything...says my wife :)

but yeah you could do about 10% every other day and do it about 7-10 times and you should be ready for your large water changes like 25% weekly. You just wouldn't want to do a large 25-50% water change now without slowly acclimating him first since the RO/DI water is probably quite a bit different than your tap.

13. AlphonsusWell Known MemberMember

Well then I guess your going to have to trim the water wisteria often since they do grow really tall.

14. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

very useful to know. Thanks, we'll keep that in mind once the tank is cycled

15. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

Checked water parameters today. sitting at .25/0/0 and pH of 7.8

Transferred a bit of filter sponge that I had seeding in my 20gal into her filter, will see if that speeds up the cycling. Seeing as how I had a bit of an ammonia spike in my tank last week, I'm not sure how well seeded the sponge is, so will still give it a couple days at least, checking water parameters

16. foreverlearning

foreverlearningValued MemberMember

*waves* I am "the wife" ..... hi ;)

17. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I came over here to see the new light bulb! Got a picture?;)

18. OP
    OP
    Ursinos

you want a picture of just the bulb? here's the box, if that helps

[​IMG]

19. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Cool! Thanks:)

20. foreverlearning

foreverlearningValued MemberMember

Got a couple new plants for the tank .....
    Betta Tank - 08-JUL-16 copy.jpg

And this is a betta I was eying today .... though tank is not cycled yet
    Potential Betta (f).jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice