Wife wants a Betta!

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
So my wife has decided that she wants a betta, and we may possibly be picking up a 5 gallon tank this week to start it cycling so she can get one. The sad part is she's fallen in love with a little salmon coloured Dumbo that Big Al's has currenty, but we don't have a tank ready for it to go into (I hope they have, if not the same one, but one similar enough when we are ready for it).

my problem is that I'm not sure how tolerant Bettas are of water hardness. Our water here is pretty hard (like 180ppm for both kH and Gh) and a relatively high pH (8.2). For a 5 gallon tank, it's not going to be a BIG deal if we have to buy RO water for water changes, but is it really necessary?

I'd love everyone's input on this. Thanks

(on a side rant....I'm mostly pleased with Big Al's service. The woman we were talking today said straight up to make sure we get a MINIMUM of 2.5g tank for a betta, which made me feel a bit better, though I'd not do less than a 5. Wife wants to put live plants in the tank though, and that always sets the people there off on pushing 200 dollar light fixtures on us, when all we're thinking about is anubiases. geesh)
 

Graphix

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
4
Location
Canada
Experience
4 years
Your betta should be fine in hard water, most likely he's already used to your tap water if the Big Al's is local to you, usually your lfs won't have treated the water with any pH or hardness buffers. If you want to be extra careful, just make sure to slowly acclimate the betta to your tank's water when you get him, having consistent water parameters is better than having the pH and hardness jump around from trying to achieve a certain pH.

Glad to hear about the good advice from the Big Al's employee
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Ursinos

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
Graphix said:
Your betta should be fine in hard water, most likely he's already used to your tap water if the Big Al's is local to you, usually your lfs won't have treated the water with any pH or hardness buffers. If you want to be extra careful, just make sure to slowly acclimate the betta to your tank's water when you get him, having consistent water parameters is better than having the pH and hardness jump around from trying to achieve a certain pH.

Glad to hear about the good advice from the Big Al's employee
I'm worried because the fish care "specialist" there has told my wife they keep the Betta's in RO water. So, it might be a shock for them to go from that into our hard water lol.

I suppose we could start with RO water and gradually mix in dechlorinated tap water, gradually acclimate it?
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,975
Reaction score
3,572
Experience
2 years
Ask them if they add back minerals to that RO water. But yes, slow acclimation is the way to go.

Do you already have a cycled tank? I would just borrow some media from it and get the dream Betta right away
 

Fettuccini

Well Known
Member
Messages
883
Reaction score
40
Location
Wisconsin
Experience
5 years
I'll let people with more experience speak about the water parameters, but in a tank that small, I'd be pretty shocked if there was any kind of aquarium plant that wouldn't be perfectly fine under a simple 6500K 60w CFL bulb in a plain old clamp on aluminum work lamp. The things those stores try to talk you into can be pretty laughable.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Ursinos

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
Aquaphobia said:
Ask them if they add back minerals to that RO water. But yes, slow acclimation is the way to go.

Do you already have a cycled tank? I would just borrow some media from it and get the dream Betta right away
the filter in the kit we are looking at will be a different type. I do have a bit of filter sponge currently in my established aquarium (has been in there for a couple weeks now at least. its the filter sponge for an old fluval 2 plus internal filter). I think maybe it'd fit into the HOB that the tank comes with. Actually, that might slow the flow down a bit so it doesn't annoy the betta so much...
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,975
Reaction score
3,572
Experience
2 years
Perfect! So we can expect pics of your wife's new betta in a couple of days then?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Ursinos

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
Aquaphobia said:
Perfect! So we can expect pics of your wife's new betta in a couple of days then?
You bet. As soon as it's all set up, I'll get a pic up. , she's got an account here herself I think, she's just a lurker
 

Alphonsus

Well Known
Member
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
Location
Boston, Massachusetts
Experience
3 years
You should probably do a drip acclimation and set it 1-2 drop a second. Can you ask Big Al to hold the betta until you can buy it?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Ursinos

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
Alphonsus said:
You should probably do a drip acclimation and set it 1-2 drop a second. Can you ask Big Al to hold the betta until you can buy it?
not sure, if we go down there again before tuesday, we'll ask
 

foreverlearning

Active Member
Member
Messages
363
Reaction score
3
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
1 year
Fettuccini said:
in a tank that small, I'd be pretty shocked if there was any kind of aquarium plant that wouldn't be perfectly fine under a simple 6500K 60w CFL bulb in a plain old clamp on aluminum work lamp.
What we have is the hood in the kit that came with an incandescent fixture but we replaced the bulb with an Aqueon® MinI Compact Fluorescent Aquarium bulb. it is a 50/50 daylight/blue light (50% 10,000K daylight and 50% true actinic bluelight according the package). It is a 10W bulb, so 2W per gallon ...
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Ursinos

Ursinos

Active Member
Member
Messages
203
Reaction score
2
Location
Kitchener
Experience
Just started
foreverlearning said:
What we have is the hood in the kit that came with an incandescent fixture but we replaced the bulb with an Aqueon® MinI Compact Fluorescent Aquarium bulb. it is a 50/50 daylight/blue light (50% 10,000K daylight and 50% true actinic bluelight according the package). It is a 10W bulb, so 2W per gallon ...
that's the wife, for anyone who is curious lol
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,975
Reaction score
3,572
Experience
2 years
Don't worry about the watts/gallon, they don't really apply any longer due to advances in lighting technology. It sounds like you've got a lot of light on that tank and can probably grow just about anything! Not sure how the Actinic Blue will affect plants, I thought that was more for corals and such, but at least the daylight half of the bulb will be good for them

Can you post a picture?
 

foreverlearning

Active Member
Member
Messages
363
Reaction score
3
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
Don't worry about the watts/gallon, they don't really apply any longer due to advances in lighting technology. It sounds like you've got a lot of light on that tank and can probably grow just about anything! Not sure how the Actinic Blue will affect plants, I thought that was more for corals and such, but at least the daylight half of the bulb will be good for them

Can you post a picture?
Pretty sure my husband did in the freshwater builds section ....
 

foreverlearning

Active Member
Member
Messages
363
Reaction score
3
Location
Ontario, Canada
Experience
1 year
Here is my betta (not the one I had originally looked at .... but think this guy had wanted me to wait for him
This is Jensen

Jensen.jpg
 

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
20,975
Reaction score
3,572
Experience
2 years
Maybe a HM? Will he flare at a mirror? He's very pretty!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
216
Guests online
3,007
Total visitors
3,223

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom