wierd looking swordtail

Discussion in 'Swordtails' started by joe, Aug 18, 2005.

1. joeValued MemberMember

I just got 3 new swordtails, one is yellowish orangish and the other two are red. I asked the lady for 1 male and 2 females. But when i got them home my yellowish orangish female had a tiny sword on the end. Is it a she-man? I was wondering if this is possible but its size looks like its a female. Can anyone help me here? ???

2. fletchValued MemberMember

Look at its anal fin. Does it look like a normal fin or is it more like a tube. If its a tube its a male

3. JasonWell Known MemberMember

Yeah female swordtails can change from females to males. They devlop a gonopodium and grow a sword. The sword though won't be as long as a normal males. Ive seen it happen heaps of time, can take about 4 weeks and usually occurs when there is a shortage of males. In my opinion they dont look as good because they're stilll fat and have a stubby tail. They can mate with other females after the period of time and the babies will turn out normal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice