wierd fry behavior..

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
my lady fryalator is getting so big-- she eats like a champ and is growing by each day-- however-- i just noticed her flicking her little body against plants and against the rocks--is this a sign of illness--or something?? she does it quick and forcefully--like she's itchy--then i was thinking that mayeb she is just exploring the tank as she is bigger and can swim around freely without fear of being gobbled-- but i don't know?? anyone?? thanks-- LILA

Christopher

Reaction score
This is usually an early sighn of an illness or they had something irritating their skin(ex. ICH) and they are trying to scrape it off, there is a good chance it is nothing but just to be safe i recomend putting in aquarium salt(1 tablespoons of salt every 5 gallon), this is healthy for the fish and kills ICH. hope this helps and good luck

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Also, gradually increase the temperature to around 80 F. This will make the ICH parasites vulnerable. Add some medication which would clear the parasites. Do not lower the temperature below 80 F for atleast two weeks. Others, please correct me if I'm wrong.

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
i've heard so many contrasting views about adding aquarium salt-- we did when we first got our tank-- but i've been hesitant to use it again-- we just treated lastweek for parasites and fungus-- as some fish were showing signs of infection-- however i lost two of them :'( i don't want to lose any of my babies!! and i didn't even think of ich-b/c i idn't see any spots- can they still have ich without showing any spots???-- so i guess i will treat for that just in case--thanks-- guys

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LilaBean do a water change first then see how she acts and how she looks. Check your Nitrates, if its up a bit your fish will also act this way, the water change should help if this is the problem.
Also when they get ready to have their fry they will sometimes flick against things.
Adding salt is the last thing I would do. If you see what looks like grains of salt on her then she has ich and raising the temp above 80F for 14 days alone will get rid of it.
Carol

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi Carol,

I have a query related to the aquarium temperature.

My glass thermometer always shows around 85 degress Celcius in the aquarium. Is this temperature good for the mollies I have, or do i have to do something to reduce the temperature?

If the temperature is above 80 all the time, do my fishes still have a chance to catch ICH?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you mean 85F/29C . 76-85F/25-29C is fine for your mollies. Above 80F/27C you don't have much chance of having Ich.
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
water change done-- haven't seen that flicking of the body on any more objects as of yet-- one of my females is acting funny though-- staying on the bottom hiding-- not eating regularly-- she hasn't been the same since she had her fry-- ??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom