Wierd Film On Top Aquarium Water.

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It is a white film and it looks kind of grainy substance on the top of the water and I can’t scoop it out or get rid of it. Any ideas on what it is and what I should do to get rid of it. My Betta doesn’t seem to be phased by it but I still don’t like it

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
w_johnson07 said:
It is a white film and it looks kind of grainy substance on the top of the water and I can’t scoop it out or get rid of it. Any ideas on what it is and what I should do to get rid of it. My Betta doesn’t seem to be phased by it but I still don’t like it
Could you post a pic? Never heard of white grainy substances on the water but I'm still learning myself. Do you have good water movement? I used to get an oily substance on my water but I got a good powerhead and haven't seen it since.

BettaFishKeeper4302

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
w_johnson07 said:
It could possibly be a bubble nest from your betta. If your betta is a male it will make a bubble aka white nest on the surface. That means they want to breed with another fish. This tends to go away after a little while. It does not affect water. Hope this helped!

w_johnson07

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
danhutchins said:
Could you post a pic? Never heard of white grainy substances on the water but I'm still learning myself. Do you have good water movement? I used to get an oily substance on my water but I got a good powerhead and haven't seen it since.
It looks oily and that’s wha it meant but I couldn’t think of the word

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Take a paper towel and lay it across the surface of the water. It's likely some sort of soap from your hands. Among other harmless things.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are not dealing with a contaminant upping the surface agitation and filtration generally takes care of that.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah probably not bio-film or protein build up, especially with a betta. Yeah try not to worry about it too much. Just do your regular water changes and it should clear out. Bettas are some tough cookies, and are super hardy regardless.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom