Why's It Always Ich ? Help

1. swordtail123 Member Member

Hiya guys ☺️
    So I have 8 rosy tetras in a 30 litre quarantine aquarium, I just bought them on Saturday and everything's been fine since then. However today I come in and see that one of the tetras has two small white spots on its tail... Ich again.

So I was wondering do you think the ich has come from the aquarium of the shop the fish were in or from my quarantine aquarium?
    I've had fish that had ich in the aquarium about 2 years ago but from that time I had also moved all of my fish (when I moved house) using this aquarium and they are still alive and well. That was about a year ago and from this time the aquarium had been stored in my shed. I hope it's not from my aquarium at home if anyone knows wether ich can survive for a long period of time without water then please tell me.

Anyway I did a 10 litre water change and added salt as well as ich medication, i guess we'll just have to hope they get better. Losing them would be sad as they are really cute hyper fish.

2. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

No, Ich needs a host fish to survive. The ich came in with the tetras.
    Edit: Dont use salt with the tetras for Ich- just use the medication.

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Agreed, most likely from your aquarium shop.

Although they have this "odd " incubation phase where they can actually exist for up to 8-10 weeks on your substrate until the conditions are right before completely free-swimming, if you carried out a full treatment and gravel vac, etc, they're most likely not to be existing in your tank post-treatment (and they only have a 24-48hr window for them to find a host before they die anyhow). And they can't live without water to answer your last question; they'll "dry" up.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

5. swordtail123 Member Member

Thanks guys! I hope they get better soon.

6. swordtail123 Member Member

So a quick update, the tetras are well into undergoing their treatment for white spot however they don't exactly seem to be getting better but they aren't getting worse either. I find this a bit confusing as they should be showing some signs atleast. Has anyone ever had tetras and maybe mistakingly diagnosed them with ich ? Or had tetras with very faint small white spots on them and found this to just be the fishes natural coloring ?

7. BHK3 Well Known Member Member

Can you confirm exactly what you're doing to treat them? Some pictures would be very helpful as well. It's hard to speak to coloring vs illness otherwise.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're going with the heat method, it can take a few days to see a difference.

9. swordtail123 Member Member

Sadly I know now for sure that it's white spot because the amount of spots has drastically increased over night, I'm treating the aquarium by raising the temperature to 30°C and adding medication, the medication is from API, is this a good medication?
    Is there anything else I could do to encourage the fish to get better, i heard about vacuuming the gravel but the tank is bare bottom.

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Don't use both meds and heat - do one or the other. Both can stress your fish too much.

Still vacuum the bottom of the tank. The point is to remove the fallen ich, which will happen whether you have gravel or bare bottom.

11. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

What happens is the parasite burrows into the skin. This produces a cyst, in which the creature can feed and breed. The cyst bursts, and out swim the parasites, looking for bodies with fluids to eat. It isn't a one day process to kill them, and usually takes about 5-7 days, and three spaced out, 5-7 day apart dosings.
    They come from the store, as they are a common parasite in the wild and on farms.

Defenses? Never buy from a tank you haven't taken a few minutes to study. If there is even one cyst, it's no for buying.
    Find out if your store has central filtration. If it does, if there is ich in adjoining tanks, stay away.
    Watch for signs of lethargy and flashing, even if there aren't cysts.
    We have to train ourselves to walk away sometimes. That's hard for people who live far from stores, or younger fishkeepers who need a drive to get to a store. I like to visit a store two or three times and watch before I buy fish. I let them be my first phase quarantine.

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Walked away from a species I really wanted today because there was ich in an adjoining tank. Considering I drove over two hours to get to the store, it was tough!

13. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Curious, what fish did you want to get, but, for good reason--ich-- left at the store?

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Adonis tetra. Tiny and cute little things!

15. swordtail123 Member Member

Hello guys! ☺️ I have some good news, all the tetras seem to be getting better and there is very little visible ich on them. I have been medicating the aquarium appropriately and also raised the temperature to 30°C (as I mentioned before) Obviously this is still on going and I will probably continue the treatment to the end of this week. However my question is how will I know when the fish and the aquarium is completely ich free? Because in like 3/4 stages of their life cycle these parasites are virtually invisible. How long does a ich cycle like this last and if someone has also treated fish for ich and then added them back to a community aquarium, how long did you wait before you put them back in ?
    Thanks for all your help guys!

16. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

17. swordtail123 Member Member

The fish are fine, I'd rather they be slightly stressed and get better than not stressed but dead. I've tried medication by itself and the treatment is too weak. Increasing the temperature speeds up the life cycle of the ich and makes sure more are killed quicker so the fish don't have to suffer. They are eating very well and are all active, once the ich is gone from sight I will lower the temperature slowly back to normal to prevent any shock.

18. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

What medication were you using that was too weak?

19. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Stress can kill fish, so I'd be careful using both meds and heat. It can be too much for some fish.

20. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Think of it like this: if Ich medication and heat were the more effective option we would all be doing it and you wouldn't have warnings by experienced fish-keepers not do do it. Experience has shown that both heat and formalin based medications will lower the oxygen-saturation in a tank for fish that are already oxygen compromised due to the ich infestation on the gills.
    Yes, heat will quicken the Ich life-cycle, but it will also rapidly diminish the fishes ability to take up oxygen through the gills while the parasite is on the fish and impervious to both the heat as well as the medication. A "little stressed" during this process can also mean a "little dead."
    Your thought process was not entirely off base considering that heat increases the rapidity of the ich life-cycle, however, you underestimated the effects that both heat and formalin based medications (used together) can have in the short term on a fish who is already oxygen compromised. You were lucky, thankfully, that your fish are "fine". Although, I still doubt this is the case because you are continuing to use both...
    What can happen under this stress? Well, stress such as this can make the fish susceptible to all kinds of bacterial infections that they would normally be able to handle when not stressed. This might be worth considering.