Question Why would only 1 fish in a tank get ich?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why would only 1 fish in a tank get ich, and the rest are spot free?

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long have you had the fish? Does it show any other signs of illness? Is it being picked on or otherwise being stressed? Usually Ick only effects fish that have weakened immune systems. But since one fish is showing it it's in there and since you don't need to treat the tank with medication, I would just raise the temp to 83-84 and do partial water changes frequently and vacuum the gravel really good to get all the ick spores out. Keep the temp up for 2 weeks with vacuuming and you should be good. Raising the temp speeds up the ick spores lifecycle and kills it quickly.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I noticed a few spots under the fancy goldfish's (4 years old) tail a few days ago. This is in the 90 with one other goldfish and 2 dojo loaches.

I'm treating it in a 20, but the other fish are still spot free and are showing no signs of illness. I've stepped up the water changes to every other day, at 40%.

I am not asking how to treat it, but reasons why only one fish would get it.

Last edited:

CHoffman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Figured it wouldn't hurt to throw treatment in there as well, just incase you or someone else reading the thread might need the info. Better safe then sorry. More information is never a bad thing imo.

Also like I said if that particular fish had any other illness, weakened immune system or is stressed in anyway that could be the reason only that fish is showing signs.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That happened to me Jaysee. My black molly got it, but noone else. I treated the whole tank, but she was the only one showing the spots! No idea...

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I highly recommend that you treat the entire tank for ICH and not just the fish you have in Quarantine. If one fish is infected the entire tank is infected. If your fish appears to have been sprinkled with salt then chances are it is ICH.

Although water changes are wonderful for your fish, it will not cure the ICH.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Ken

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thank you ken but im not treating the fish if they arent showing signs. its now been 5 or 6 days since i first noticed the spots - 2 since the fish has been removed and still not a spot on the others.

perhaps those years of living in a 10 gallon tank (before my girlfriend met me) are catching up to him....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee, I'm glad it looks like you don't have a huge infestation of ich.

Gonna throw my thoughts out there...
That particular fish may have been weakened for some reason and less able to fight off illness, whereas (for whatever reason) the others were able to keep ich at bay and you caught it in time.
Another is ich can be in the gills where it can't be seen, or
It wasn't ich you were seeing.

Could be wrong on all accounts, but thought I'd share.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm only guessing here, but it could be that the one fish had a more compromised immune system so it wasn't able to fight off the infection where as the other fish were. Perhaps the other fish had at some time been exposed to ICH and overcame it. When fish have successfully overcome ICH they build up a higher resistance to it. Hopefully the rest of them stay ICH free. Good luck!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
its definitely ich - once i put it in quarantine it exploded.

ive had this happen before, where 1 fish in a tank gets sick. however, since this is one of our prized fish, my plan is much different....not like i can just replace it.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish is 5 now. i said 4 earlier but he was 4 when charlotte and i met.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom