Why Would My Aquarium Leak From Here?

1. Shmoked Initiate Member

hello, thanks for dropping by.
    So. On my daughters 10 1/2 gallon fw aquarium there is a constant drip from the top of the aquarium dripping down the side. (See photos)

The leak is rather slow. The pooling is about 8 hours since it was cleaned up last.

The drip seems to be coming from the hood perhaps and running down the side. I don't see any reason why the glass or seams are damaged.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

So is the tank itself leaking or is water condensing on the underside of the lid and then dripping down and out the outside of the tank?

3. Shmoked Initiate Member

I think perhaps it's the air stone. The water pops at the surface and hits the hood. Then it runs tho the parimiter of the hood and back into the aquarium.
    The liner that matches to the hood is where it seems like (3rd and 4th pic) the hood attaches is where it's dripping down.
    I'm so baffled. I've placed spacers in between the hood and liner with no results either. :/

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How close is the top of the water to the plastic trim? I once had a tank that would wick the water up inside the black plastic trim, it would flow up inside the trim and then it would drip out on the outside. I solved that by keeping the water level well below the bottom edge of the trim.

5. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Is it a built in hood and light? If water is slashing I'd be *very* worried about it hitting light bulbs. That's a good way to blow up a light bulb and worse case scenario start a fire.

If you turn the air stone off does that help?

6. Shmoked Initiate Member

I have a LED light hood that is protected by a splash cover. I think it's fine. No worries about any water damaging anything.
    I was watching the airstone, I've got it burried below the gravel making bigger bubbles. Perhaps I'll move it up to the surface more.
    But first I'll turn it off and monitor it for a couple hours. Good idea!

As for a water line I've got it filled pretty high up. Perhaps a half inch from the top. Maybe that's the reason. I'll empty it a tad.
    How high should the water be from the top of the tank anyway?

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Is the water line touching the plastic rim at all?

8. Shmoked Initiate Member

Yikes. Sorry for the multiple replies.

The water is about a half inch below the black trim.

9. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Hm, that's probably not it then. I'd still bet it's condensation building up somewhere and escaping though.

10. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

That is exactly it!

11. Shmoked Initiate Member

So, I'll eliminate each step accordingly.
    I never had this problem until a few months ago.
    I'll first bring the airstone higher to the surface rather than larger bubbles.
    If that doesn't work I'll lower the water level by a inch.
    If that doesn't work I'll unplug the airstone.

I'll let ya know what happens over the next couple hours.

12. 2211Nighthawk Well Known Member Member

Sounds good. I keep my water line about an inch below the plastic trim but then the water from the filter is a little louder. It dosen't brother me though.

13. popsikle Initiate Member

This is what happens when the air has the force to eject water to your hood/cover. Prop the back of her hood/cover up a little bit with an airline tube or an extra suction cup or something so that the hood/cover slightly is angled towards the front of the tank. This will force the water to roll a little bit towards the front and hopefully drop back into her tank instead of her of your tank, but you will get algae on the hood after some time even with it propped up a bit. Clean your air stone of deposits (or replace it with something that has smaller bubbles) and make sure to add cleaning it to your routine every few weeks. You could also add a air regulator to your airline and turn down the amount of air getting to your stone.