why would a bio bag disolve?

hop2jr
I have a Tetra whisper 60 on a 29 gal tank try and change the bags one week between each. Came home water looked alittle murky and there was algae on the glass. So I clean the glass and when I moved the filter some brown slug came off so I shut it down pulled the screens to rinse it and half of the bio bags white mesh was stuck to it. Pulled the bag out and it fell apart in my hand. Then checked the other side and the same thing happened. The bags are only 1-3weeks and the other 2weeks old? Would using Flourish excel do this to the bags only dose 1/2 a cap every 2 days? Going to call Tetra tomorro. ANyone have this happen to them.....Help!

Shawnie
not sure why that's happening ..I'm sure its a pain in the rear...but you don't wanna be changing your filter media out so often..u will start a minI cycle..maybe it was a bad batch of refills? hmm hope someone comes along to help ya

susitna-flower
Can't give an explaination, but would suggest you contact Tetra and let them know, and that you are not satisfied with their product. If it is a flaw they shoudl have the chance to make it right for you.

hop2jr
thanks ya going to have to wait till I hear from tetra and ya I know I have a minI on the way that's why I'm a little p????-off. but the fish are fine so far that's what counts. The water is clearing up now but need to find out if I need to go with another type of filter system.

COBettaCouple
Wow.. I never had that happen when I was using their filter media. I would think the Flourish excel had some part in it, but I've never used that so I could only guess at that.

You might want to try using this and cutting it to fit your filters:

I've found it to be much more durable and just swish it around each week in removed tank water when I do the cleaning and water change. Been using the same pieces in some filters for almost a year now.

hop2jr
Thanks for the Link still haven't hear back from Tetra on the problem

Calab
Thanks for the Link still haven't hear back from Tetra on the problem

Any word from Tetra?

hop2jr
3 e-mails and 2 weeks still no contact from Tetra.

COBettaCouple
Gotta love customer service! :helpsmilie:

hop2jr
Yep still nothing calling again 6-11-08 my b-day maybe I'll have some luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
garikapc
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views
Baconater
Replies
Views