Why Wont They Spawn?!?!

1. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

So here's the details:

12 Litre tub with Almond leaves soaking for a week and some malachite blue, air stone on the side. Added a fresh almond leaf to float. There a granite tunnel and an anubias nana in there for hiding. I put in Cirrus to get to work, took a long time to get him to make a bubble nest but he finally did.

In between that I tried coaxing him with a female crowntail. I put her in there separated by a bottle for 2 days then released her, no luck as she became shy. After 2 weeks I added her back in, which it where I'm at now. I've had her in the bottle, she seems to be interested, with a submissive head tilt. I'm going to let her out tonight and see what happens.

but I just don't know why it's taking so long to get them to spawn??

2. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I've tried spawning many times and have had exactly two successes with getting any eggs. (Same pair.) The first time the fry didn't make it into free swimming stage, and the second time no eggs hatched.

Sometimes the pair will not spawn, be it that they do not like each other or for other reasons.

Spawning is the tough thing. Fry raising is in your hands, but spawning is all up to the bettas.

I wish you luck and hope it goes better for you than it has for me!

3. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

I have 11 females I could potentially pair him with, but even the more aggressive ones get shy around him! not sure if I'm doing anything wrong? I'm starting to suspect maybe its age, I've tried looking into it but I dont know what the recommended age is for them to breed.

4. B

How old are they? My pair were about a year old when they spawned, so unless yours were 2+ years old I'd doubt it was age. But it's certainly possible.

I understand your frustration. My recent pairing didn't work out either. :(

5. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

Mine are all young, my boy is about 7 months old and the females vary from 6 to 5 months old. The female I have him with now is 5 months

6. B

Their age is fine then. Sometimes doing a tiny water change in the breeding tank with colder water can trigger breeding behavior, from my experience, but it's kind of a toss up.

7. OP
    OP
    Cori Elizabeth

I'll try that when I get home. My boy just acts really weird I don't know what to think of it

He'll guard his bubble nest and go back and fourth between the bubble nest and showing off with the female, then as soon as he realises he can touch her he chases her around trying to nip. Until the female is hiding in a corner or under a leaf...

8. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAnt Well Known Member Member

Believe me when I say, sometimes it's not the right time. I've respawned a betta pair 4 times before I got my fry to where they are now.

The behavior you described above isn't unusual in the least. That's why it's harder to breed bettas in larger tanks (from what I can tell through personal experience) The aggression bred into these fish hundreds of years ago still is displayed when these fish are breeding.

I think that's why I enjoy their breeding so much actually. I think it's oddly cute that the fish know for killing each other and attacking their spawning partner breed by "hugging"