Why wont my Lf albino plecos breed?

DRkelament

so, I have a 75 gal community tank with some good fish. my question is i have to Lf albino plecos in there that i think are male and female and 2 other brown females but we have 3 terracotta planters in there for caves but its been about a week or 2 and no eggs why? HELP please

BigManAquatics

Feed bloodworms. Works great for conditioning most fish to want to breed. Also, might wanna make sure you have at least 1 male in there!

Replacing the water change water with water a few degrees cooler can also kickstart the process as well, as they tend to breed more in cooler months in the wild.

Yeoy

so, I have a 75 gal community tank with some good fish. my question is i have to Lf albino plecos in there that i think are male and female and 2 other brown females but we have 3 terracotta planters in there for caves but its been about a week or 2 and no eggs why? HELP please
If it's only been 1-2 weeks I wouldn't worry at all. Fish aren't machines and they don't magically produce babies on a schedule.

Fish can take time to adjust to a new environment. They may also not be big/old/mature enough to start breeding. Also some fish just don't like each other.

Also most plecos won't feel comfortable breeding without a proper cave. Look at buying some proper catfish caves for them, that might help too.

Flyfisha

The shape of the cave needs to such that the male can trap the female in the cave by blocking her exit.

If you have had the ( BN ?) plecos in separate tanks and been feeding them up on live foods before introduction then they should get right on to the job . If you have 5 or more in a single tank that’s not something I can write about. I have breed pairs in 22 gallons.

How big/old are these fish ? They will need to be 3 inches/ 8 months old .

As well as the live foods ( meat) they need fresh vegetables.

Edit you have more females than terracotta pots.
I would have 4 caves for one pair.

mattgirl

My adult plecos were together for at least a month before the first eggs were laid. If you are sure yours are full grown and are sure you have at least one male then just give them time. As with all other aspects of this hobby we need to practice patience and lots of it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Trueblue
Replies
Views
qldmick
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views