Why wont my Java fern rhizomes grow?

micahweaver

Hey all,
About 2 months ago I started mixing my tap water with filter tap water to lower the pH in my tank which was around 7.9. The new water mixture is now down to 7.2 and all the other parameters are fine. Around this time, both my java ferns started to turn brown and rot. After a while, I cut off the leaves since they were all dead. I put the rhizomes back in the water by tying them to a piece of driftwood. Since then, no leaves have come from the rhizomes. Does anybody know why they aren't growing? I dose 5 drops of Aqueon Aquarium Plant Food every week after a water change. I have tried moving them into more and less light but nothing is happening to them.

Evergreen2

People say that Java Ferns are good beginner plants, which I don't quite understand. I have the same problem as you. I had some that were without leaves for 6 months. They are slow growers, and they don't seem to like change for whatever reason. They're probably just taking their good old time adjust to the new pH levels.

Upvote 0

jake37

How soft is your mixed water? It might be that you are removing all the nutrients the java fern need to grow - are you adding fertilizers including calcium and magnesium ?

Upvote 0

micahweaver

How soft is your mixed water? It might be that you are removing all the nutrients the java fern need to grow - are you adding fertilizers including calcium and magnesium ?
yes both are being added

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Teahaus
Replies
Views
r_e_g
  • Question
Replies
Views