Why Water Is Clear But Looks Like It Has A Yellowish Green Tint To It

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Valued Member Member

I've noticed this for several days now that my 50 gallon tank seems to have a yellowish green tint to it, I dont know if its algae but i know is not tallis i took a picture and I'll share with you guys but I find the photo doesnt show what I'm seeing. It's very faint but it gets worse everyday. I'm planning on getting a phosphate test that is more accurate (because me thinking ph is phosphate but I'm not sure, please tell me if they are the same) to see if that's causing an algae bloom. If anyone else has any ideas I'd love to know. If it is algae my bushy nose pleco is in for a 24/7 buffet.

Attached Files:

2. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Is it a new tank? Does it look hazy? Many newer tanks have a bacterial bloom in the water column as part of the process of becoming established. If that is what it is there isn’t anything to do other than wait it out.

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

It looks just milky to me so bacteria bloom if its not cycled or if it's in mini cycle as @Mom2some stated.
    Other thing it could be algae starting but green water algae is one cell organism and it spred so fast that your water would be green in day or two and pleco will not help with it.
    Did you try cleaning glass?
    Other thing dont have big photo period you have small small number of plants and a lot of big poopers (gold fish, pleco) so your tank just from that part and no alot of plants will be unbalanced.

Third thing ph and phosphates arent same thing.
    Phosphate is trace element and ph is acidity of your water.
    Dont wory about those things now, better keep your eyes on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (nh4, no2, no3)

4. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

My cycle might have crashed, there are other threads with that problem I've made. There are below 0.02ppt of ammonia and 0 nitrates but the nitrites are picking up again (slowly they are below 0.25ppm but above 0ppm thc test wasnt clear but was obvious it had trace amounts of nitrites) I'm starting to cycle my tank again since it crashed. But the ammonia has never been out of control just the ammonium (before you ask my ph is 7.4 and my temp is 23°c) this could be a bacterial bloom (hopefully a good one) but this tank has been running since April 31st the cycled might have crashed 2 weeks ago about.. it doesn't look cloudy since I whipped down the tank with a cloth and some water and cleaned it up but when I look at the top it just has this strange yellowish greenish tint maybe its just the plants colour reflecting but still...

5. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Leave it for now. It is probably then bacterial bloom that is normal when you are in cycle so keep it like this and first and main job now is to get your cycle back so 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and some but no more than 20 nitrate. Then if you have some algae problem we will deal with it later. Algae are normal when tank isn't mature so diatoma algae and some other appear in this stage but will go after some time when tank is stable.

6. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

I am sorry for the off-topic question but may ask where you got that rock with the holes in it?

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Kool, clean looking tank. White substrate may be hard to keep clean but it is beautiful when it is.

8. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I got the rock at my lfs big Al's if you know of big als it isnt the typical one it's based souly on fish and nothing but it's the best fish store in durham region (where I live in canada)
    I find it really easy to keep clean. I love keeping my tank really clean and I have a method that I don't have to take water out