Why So Many Platy Fry Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Addie42, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

If you don't like talking about fish eating their babies don't read this
    I have like 20+ platy fry swimming around my tank right now
    They're kind of cute and all when I saw 2 a couple days ago but there's so many now...
    Why isn't my gourami hunting them??? (3 spot)
    What can I even do with this many fish? I kept thinking "oh well, I'm sure they'll get eaten or dwindle in numbers or something" but they're everywhere I look and none of the adult fish seem to care at all. I hope I can find a LFS that will take my fish??? *fins crossed*
    I wanted natural selection in the tank not like a platy apocalypse

2. Gourami36 Well Known Member Member

My 3 spot gourami and other fish don't eat them either. Maybe sell them on fishlore if you can't find a lfs that will take them.

3. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

yeah maybe that will work ... I don't know how I feel about shipping fish in a Canadian February hopefully Kijiji
    I am actually excited to see what the babies will look like. Some fry are red and some and white. Could be cool but I can't have like 50 fish in my tank lol.
    Maybe next time I will get fish that... don't do this. It sounded fun on paper

4. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

If it was a platy-only tank they would actually self regulate up to an ‘ideal ‘ sustainable population and stay balanced there. Don’t think the gourami would go for that idea though.

5. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

why don't they self regulate their population with other fish?

6. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

They dont self regulate tgeor population the will just keep on breeding

7. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

This is when it is very nice to have ravenous cichlids to feed them to. I recently acquired an axolotl that will be taking care of my larger culls. He already ate a less than decent quality betta for me.

8. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

Good question. They might do. I only know of studies with species-only livebearer tanks.

9. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

would love to see a pic of your axolotl, once I have a house I think that axolotls might be on my wish list (currently is: calico goldfish, clownfish reef tank, pea puffers) it's nice going on this forum and seeing the fish that others like

10. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

The only fish I have that are fast and persistent enough to catch and eat molly fry are my zebra danios. :)

11. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

and here I was feeling like a bad fish mom for not separating them to give them a chance LOL

12. SM1199 Well Known Member Member

I don't think the issue is that they won't self regulate with other fish, it's more the issue that the other fish will feel way too crowded by the time the livebearers reach that self-regulation limit. Also, filters make it a lot easier for livebearers to overpopulate a tank because all that waste gets removed and cycled rather than building up - so it dramatically increases that self-regulation threshold.

13. SM1199 Well Known Member Member

Also, if you want a fish that self-regulates with other fish better than platies, I would say endlers. They have smaller batches than guppies and the fry are so small that they're a lot more likely to get eaten than platy fry. In the same tank, I had dozens of platy fry surviving while barely any of the guppy fry made it past a week because the platy fry are just so dang fast and hardy. I even tried to feed some day-old platy fry in a bare tank to a betta and my betta couldn't even get within two inches of any of them.

14. Addie42 Well Known Member Member

thinking of platies self regulating just sort of reminds me of bacteria in a closed culture plate. It will die off because of not enough resources and too much waste... not desirable aquarium attributes

15. Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve got a thread on him here if you want photos.
    Rescue Axolotl Advice

16. mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

If you have fish that can have 20 or more babies each month or so you have to do something. Letting nature do what nature is designed to do doesn't sound cruel at all to me. As long as the fry are given a fighting chance by having lots of hiding places I see it as natural for some of them to turn into fish food. In this case only the strongest will survive.

If you don't have enough grow out tanks and an outlet for all the fry eventually you will find yourself with way too many. Allowing some to be eaten is in my personal opinion the best option.

17. Isobelle Well Known Member Member

If your LFS won’t take them maybe try some local fish groups on Facebook if you can find any?