Why should I have my aquarium in a place where sun light doesn't get to it?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nancyhl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Why is it important that the sunlight doesn't get to my tanks? Where I have my tanks the sunlight hits them a little bit in the morning.

2. MagooFishlore VIPMember

It's all about the algae :) lots of sunlight can encourage its growth but if you keep on top if it it'll be fine I wouldn't worry :) one of my tanks is opposite a window and I've never had a problem although I am in England and have pretty much forgotten what sunlight looks like lol ;)

3. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

In addition to direct sunlight encouraging algae growth, if the sun is strong enough, it can raise the water temperature in the tank, which will lead to temperature fluxuations once the sun is no longer beating on the tank.

4. luke355027355027Well Known MemberMember

If you have a background on the tank that blocks the light it will block the algae.but the tank will still heat up. Putting tin foil over the background would reflect the heat

5. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

I've had planted tanks in front of windows and no algae issues. I kept Nerite snails and they kept my glass clean.

6. ayladWell Known MemberMember

My only experience with green water was in a betta tank placed near a window. It never received direct sunlight, yet it had some serious algae problems. A nearby betta tank also tended to develop algae even without running artificial lights more than a few minutes per day over an extended period. I'm not sure what factors determine whether a tank near a window will have problems, but I'd bet that latitude has a lot to do with it. I'm considerably closer to the equator than either Magoo or Psalm18.2. :)

7. NancyhlValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone, I don't have such a big algae problem and I try to keep it clean. Sunlight hit is just for a few minutes max an hour and its early in the morning when sun is not that strong I don't think it makes a differences n the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice