Why Should I Bother...

1. MudSkipper Member Member

Hello Fishlore, recently after finishing my scape, adding fish, plants and after a 10 day trip to Ireland, getting sick (nothing serious), I feel as though nothing can make my tank look better.

I'm no "Takashi Amano" and I realize that and feel very discouraged and disappointed in myself as a fishkeeper, to not even feel good about my own fish tank. I look at all your guys' fish tanks and feel ashamed, how I could never create somthing as beautiful and simple.

After this revelation I am contemplating just going bare bottom with a thin layer of sand with plants in pots, after telling my parents this they are extremely frustrated at me about never being happy with something I created and oppose the idea.

I feel extremely discouraged after my new cories dying, my plants barely growing, my aquarium scape always being horrid and deteriorating. It also dosen't help my new (very $$$) bolivians fight over their food so aggressively that the other wont let them eat.

After all this I just feel no matter what I do my tank will look bad, my fish will die and it will all just be a waste of time and money.

Sorry for the wall of text, these are just my thoughts right now and no one will listen to me (even my therapist)

2. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry! Please don't feel bad, designing tanks is hard!
    Don't get discouraged. It takes a whole lot of trial and error to create a tank where you finally feel satisfied with the results.

If you need help with the aquascape send me a message and I'll try to help you put something together or offer suggestions. (Or just talk if you'd like that.)

Wishing you the best, MudSkipper. <3

3. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry! Don't Give up yet. Fishkeeping can be hard, and sometimes you want to give up, but you shouldn't...you are more than a person just sticking in a glass box; you're participating in a really unique hobby. It's a lot of trial and error, and no one is ever really satisfied; that what makes the fishkeeping experience so unique: you can always keep going and improving

Maybe we can help with a simple scape that wont require too much work, if you're still up for it :). Or if you feel like talking, that's great too

(btw, just curious, where in Cali do you live? I'm a Cali kid too lol :) )

4. I was once in your position too! Don't get discouraged, it just takes a lot of trial and error, and a lot of research. I'm personally a visual learner so I watch videos about aquascaping and hardscaping all the time to see different kinds of ways I can decorate my tanks. If you ever need help/tips/ or just want to talk, feel free to send me a message! I own 12 tanks myself, 11 fresh and 1 salt (in the making), and I work at my LFS so I'm constantly immersed in an aquatic environment

5. PAND3MIC Member Member

I had the same exact problem with my first tank. My loaches got a wave of ick that wiped most of them out despite the heaviest treatment loaches could handle and my half-banded spiny eel ripped his own skin off trying to swim through my carbon filter; it wasn't a good start. Then my remaining fish that were no longer paired started getting territorial in a similar fashion to your own. I moved the decorations so each fish could have their own territory and balanced the water perfectly, so the fish could relax and show their true personality traits without fear of aggression toward/from other fish. You could rearrange decorations/plants in infinite ways and you could always add more critters. Get something like a couple cherry shrimp or some type of snail, it makes it more interesting to watch and they are great at helping to maintain cleanliness. Fishkeeping can only get better. The limits for most people are simply financial. I have about $593617596726385946 worth of tank ideas, but it makes it incredibly gratifying every time I upgrade or create a tank when I can finally afford to do it. Fish are fun pets. Many times it's a matter of species, it depends on what you want out of fishkeeping. I for instance hate Gouramis because they are really boring to watch. Theyre really pretty and all, but I never feel the need to stand there and continue watching gouramis either sit still or very slowly swim around. Coexistential interaction between my tankmates makes me feel like I accomplished/created something I can look at for hours and hours.

Just my thoughts.

6. MudSkipper Member Member

Thank you all for the encouragement, ideas and heartwarming posts! I will definitely research more on aquascaping.

Aptos, California

7. ChuthuluFish Member Member

don't feel bad. my tank is not pretty. I love it because my betta fish loves it. I desined it so he would feel happy not me.and in the end I grew to like the tank set up:)

8. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

All you can do is just keep trying. Keep positive and move forward. We've all sucked at designing tanks as well as losing fish too. You just got to start somewhere.

9. Hill Dweller Member Member

I just shove plants in everywhere and it eventually grows a bit jungly which the fish seem to find safe and interesting. Hubby is a bit down on it because he thinks it should look Amano, but the tank is for the fish, not for him, haha.

I guess my main aim in any tank is to give it a good strong "backbone" with one large strong feature like a big piece of wood or a stone to give height. Then it seems to kind of work no matter what the plants decide to do.

And I think everyone on here has had plants that just never quite worked. Some plants are more fussy about light and co2, and others are very very easy in almost all circumstances. And you can also stumble on plants that were grown on the farm with the leaves out of water, then when you put them underwater at home the air-grown leaves all die, but fear not, new leaves are coming right behind them that will be used to the water instead and the plant will be just fine after that. But it's very easy to feel you did something wrong when it first melts away.

No tank ever stands still for long. You will always be tinkering with the positioning or find a new plant or fish to try. That's what makes it a lifetime hobby for many, so maybe try to view it in that light? You are on version 7 of 7000 versions you might get to try, and it will be such fun trying new things along the way :)

10. Herkimur Well Known Member Member

I've seen some horrible tanks. And I mean seriously animal cruelty kinda tanks where everything in there is pink, from substrate to fake plants and pink lighting. The water was so pink it was difficult to see fish...

Unless you have cold water crayfish in there that mow down all your aquascape in 1 night, I doubt your tank/plants look that horrid (was me).