Why risk sororities/communities? Question | Page 3

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by aylad, Dec 23, 2012.

1. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +49
    Experience:
    2 years
    I was watching some of the peaceful betta videos. The flare just as much as the other bettas lol. No fighting that I saw though. I might have to order and breed some of those guys. Besides wild fish are much cooler imo even if they don't have the crazy colors.

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    There are a few with some crazy colors for themselves. Check out Dimidiatas.

3. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    A few things:
    First of all, the argument that we are taking risks with all of our fish, so we might as well take whatever risks we want, is a pretty poor one. We all know that there are different levels of risks. In some cases, such as a school of neons, there is almost no risk of a fight. And in some cases, such as with two male bettas, the risk is so high as to be considered a guarantee. This level of risk is based on conditions in the tank. The more abnormal of conditions you create, the higher the likelihood of something going severely wrong. In the case of a sorority tank, the bettas are in a situation where their natures are urging them to be prepared to kill the others so that they can have all the food, all the space, and the chance to breed.

Based on this, I don't need to be in anyone's house to make a blanket statement that I feel that it is an inappropriate gamble to keep a sorority tank. I have heard about quite a few such tanks, run by both experienced aquarists and those new to the hobby, and have seen enough about the likelihood of problems to have this opinion.
    Since this discussion isn't actually about you, but about a particular type of tank, let's take it away from anything resembling what you're doing. What if I came on here and said that I was keeping a betta in a little pint cup in a room that was sixty degrees. I wasn't doing water changes, because I had heard that "new tank syndrome" was bad, and I was feeding the betta the cheapest food I could find. I assure everyone on the forum that my fish is healthy. What would you say about how I'm keeping my fish?

Lastly, nowhere did I say you didn't care about your fish. I did say that I feel that a sorority tank is an irresponsible gamble of fish's lives. Sometimes we find out that we're doing something that puts our pets at risk. If pride keeps us from hearing those words, we are failing our pets. Hear the words and take them as they are; information from those who either have experience or have seen the experience of others.

4. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    alex don't make this in to an argument thread. this was merely a thread asking why risk having a sorority tank which has spiraled in to something it was not meant to be.. to reply to the thread with enough cover and territory why not have a sorority tank.

5. sirdarksol

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm not making assumptions. I'm making claims based on observations of numerous instances of sorority tanks.
    The point of this community is not to say "hey, you're doing your own thing. Awesome!" no matter what is being done. We wouldn't be serving anybody if we did that. We are here to share information, to help other members succeed as much as possible. And, given what I've seen of these tanks, I wouldn't be doing that if I didn't post my opinion on the matter.

6. sirdarksol

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    Mod hat on: Alex, this isn't about you. We've had this discussion half a dozen times since I've joined the forum, long before you had your sorority tank. And I've made the same argument I made above, long before you had your sorority tank. You keep trying to make this about you, and it isn't. I suggest you take a step back and see this as it is; a general discussion on sorority tanks.

To everyone else, when someone reacts as though they have been personally targeted by a very general thread, it is not acceptable to feed into that, to make the thread about them, or to yell at them.

Because this is a touchy topic, there aren't going to be any warnings for what I've already deleted/edited. I understand how things can go out of control. However, from this point, if someone seems to be taking something personally or being rude, report it rather than respond to it.

Thank you.

7. OP
    OP
    aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    4 years
    Guys, please stop. Let it go. I was trying to learn, not get people angry. It's Christmas, for Pete's sake.

8. Ethan

EthanWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Experience:
    2 years
    aylad if you are interested in doing this just get a big tank with plenty of plant cover and hiding spots and you should be ok but there is always the chance to get a bad egg this is just one of those things with a possibility to fail like everything in fish keeping no biggie

9. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +247
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think unwarranted negative rep goes a long way to making it personal. Names don't have to be mentioned on the thread when it can be done in anonymity.

10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    I think Aylad was wondering WHY we do it XP. Still, those are the basic of summary instructions for a sorority. Obviously, if attempted you should start a blog for emergency issues.

11. sirdarksol

Ratings:
    +232
    Experience:
    3 years
    If someone thinks rep is unwarranted, I would suggest that they contact Mike, rather than griping about it in public. The former tends to accomplish more.

12. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +2,380
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Thread closed

Become a Fishlore Member