why not to keep Otos with livebearers

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I bought 2 Otos for my tank to eat up all the algae so I could see my Guppies and Platys (well, it wasn't that bad... ;)).  So, anyway, the little guys ate the algae so fast it didn't know what hit it.  So, since I didn't have algae wafers yet, I cooked them a nice piece of lettuce, which they loved.  However, the third or fourth time I gave them lettuce, the Gups & Platts suddenly realized it was food.  I gave up on that after two missing pieces of lettuce and some very fat fish.  Fortunately my mum had some zucchini, and while my fish tried to eat it, they couldn't bite it all off before my Otos got some.  Well, finally I got those algae wafers, and thought my Otos could use a break from veggies.  I woke up that morning to a huge mess of particles of algae wafers and insanely bloated Guppies and Platys :mad: :mad:... :D it was actually sort of funny, don't tell my Otos I said that...  Anyway, stupid me, I thought I'd try the wafer again...I kid you not, it was gone in 2 hours, and not into the Otos' stomachs.  I'm surprised the little buggers are still alive, they looked like they were going to explode! ::)  So, I went back to zucchini, except that I must have cooked it longer so it was soft enough to bite off...the nest day, well, you guessed it :eek:  That was not a small piece, either.  The moral?  Don't keep veggie loving catfish with other veggie loving fish. ::)  It's probably just that my fish happen to take after me... ;D  So...I ended up making a tank divider out of that plastic stuff you sew needle point on, and now my Otos are cramped on one side and the other fish on the other side, and I'm frustrated because it's going to be so hard to do gravel vacuums with the tank divided, and it will probably be 6 months before my next tank, with nice, sweet, carnivorous fish will be ready for my Otos...but hey, they can EAT!

:p ::) ;)

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol cool story... i didnt realize ottos would be so tough to get food to

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Try feeding them at night when you turn the lights off. ;)

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

also try dropping half the veggie wafer on one side of the tank and half on the other side after lights out. I have an oto with my guppies also and this is what I do.
    This is one of the reasons i feed veggie flakes, most live bearers come from a habitat where algae is available and they need some veggies in their diet.
    Carol

5. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Good suggestions Gunnie and Butterfly, and I would try them except that knowing my little aquatic pigs...it ain't gonna work. Actually, I did try dropping it in later at night, and as for breaking it in half...my Otos would be outnumbered 6 to 2. My tank isn't planted, so stuff is easy to find, and if one fish finds it, the wafer is history. :eek: And of course there's the fact that my fish already know that there is food on the bottom, and acquired a taste for it. Actually I'm sure that would work fine for anyone else, except that my Gups and Plats are about as crazy as I am. ;)