Why No Nitrate?

1. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

Hello. My 10-gallon tank is a pretty new one. I upgraded my 3 adult male guppies and Cryptocoryne Wendtii from a 5.5-gallon to this 10-gallon on July 9th. Since then, the highest nitrate has been 1 ppm, and most of the time, it's at 0. My ammonia and nitrite have stayed at 0 the whole time. I'm using the same filter and a lot of the same other stuff from my 5.5 gallon. I don't mean the same brand and model, I mean literally the same stuff, plus some new stuff I added, which are more gravel, a new in-tank thermometer, and a kinda big new decoration. My 5.5-gallon tank was cycled. Two nights ago, I had to get the carbon out of the filter media so I could use a Tetra Parasite Guard tablet and while I was getting it out, a little bit of the gook came off of the media and getting the carbon out took so long that the media got dry and I hadn't tested the water in a while. Could it be that the gook had something to do with nitrate and there was some nitrate in the tank before I took the carbon out? Is my filter media now un-cycled?

The most recent test results and their dates:

Nitrate 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    High range pH less than 7.4?
    pH 7.6

Nitrate about 1 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Ammonia 0 ppm
    High range pH less than 7.4

KH 4 drops, 66.6666 ppm
    High range pH less than 7.4
    pH 7.6

I put the Tetra Parasite Guard tablet in tonight.

Nitrate 0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Ammonia (accidentally added 1 too many Bottle #2 drops, so will test again tomorrow) 0 ppm
  2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What are you using to test? The lowest reading on the API nitrate card is 5.0ppm.

3. guppiesandpuppies Member Member

The API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It has a lowest reading of 0 ppm.
  4. MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

You're driving yourself insane with all this testing and overthinking. If you have no ammo or nitrite and your filter was cycled in the 5.5 and you have the same bioload in this tank, you're cycled. The bacteria did not die in the time it took you to remove the carbon, and removing a minute piece of media isn't going to effect the cycle.

Put your test kit in a lock box and throw away the key.

Feed once a day, change 50% of the water every 3-5 days and enjoy your fish.

5. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

I concur. This is supposed to be fun, and it obviously brings far more stress than pleasure based on recent threads. Just change the water and enjoy your fish.