Question Why my vampire shrimp hides and doesn't eat?

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
About a week ago on Saturday I bought one Vampire shrimp. It was using its fans to collect and eat random things floating randomly in my tank. Then the shrimp stopped doing that and now just hides and doesn't eat or is interested when I put few algae wafers or shrimp pellets. Is this normal for Vampire shrimp?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Vampire shrimp are well known for hiding and being shy. Some people rarely see theirs except for when they come out to fan. Though mine isn't quite as shy, only hides when it's going to molt. They eat micro particles in the water, not full wafers and pellets. Crush up the shrimp pellets into a fine powder and spray them in front of the vampire to feed it. If it is constantly fanning the ground then it's not getting enough food, though a little bit of ground fanning is fine. How mature is the tank?

OP
Sprinkle

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is not constantly fanning the ground, so this is good? I gave it once TetraMin Baby and it ate some but not much. It is hiding at the moment and it is not fanning the ground and it is not opening its fans. My tank is fully cycled for about for couple of months.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sprinkle said:
It is not constantly fanning the ground, so this is good? I gave it once TetraMin Baby and it ate some but not much. It is hiding at the moment and it is not fanning the ground and it is not opening its fans. My tank is fully cycled for about for couple of months.
As long as it fans into the water column too, then fanning the ground a little bit isn't too bad. I'm unfamiliar with TetraMin Baby, I believe its tiny granules? They may work, but I would crush and grind shrimp pellets into a very fine powder. Spirulina powder can be a good option too. I pretty much never feed my vampire. My tank is very well established, so there's plenty of micro-food in the water column for it to eat.

Mine is currently hiding too. Could be that it is about to molt, could also be that its just being reclusive. I would try feeding it when you see it out next to be entirely sure that its not starving.

OP
Sprinkle

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will grind the shrimp pellets today and when I'll first see it, I'll feed it right away.

New Threads