Help Why my fish sitting in bottom of tank and spit out food?

Neoxyst

Reaction score
i have a 2" green spot puffer fish and he/she sitting in the bottom of tank most of the time
history :
on the first day he swim around a lot and come to the glass when i feeding frozen shrimp also eat a lot
on the second day i noticed that he is sitting so i change too much water (45%*2)
after that he ignore food
on the third day(today) he does try to eat the food but spit out everything (also not coming to the glass) and i was cycling the tank with seachem prime and stability
so i decided to buy a used sponged from the fish store (two months old) link below

What do you think about this used filter sponge? and some other question Question - | 468851 | Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

so i think the tank is cycled now
right now its 4 hours and still sitting unless i tap the glass
ignore food and spit out food and sitting

unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

what should i do?

OP
N

Neoxyst

Reaction score
DoraCory said:
Ideally, you should cycle the tank before putting the puffer in there.

But first, we really need to know the water parameters, do you have a test kit?

Is your water brackish? Because if I recall correctly GSP's are a brackish fish.
no, i don't have a test kit
about brackish water, i'm worry that salt will kill beneficial bacteria in tank/filter
does salt like this kill beneficial bacteria? (picture below)
unnamed (3).jpg

DoraCory

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You need a test kit and to read up on keeping a brackish fish.

However, it's not an area I know about, so please do some research.

aquachris

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That looks like aquarium salt... totally different than marine salt. This wont get you to what you need.

You will want to do a very slow transition into brackish - you will need salt designed for making saltwater (IE: Instant Ocean). Here's a link to Amazon - There are some other brands but its very specific. You will need to premix it (outside aquarium). Easiest way is a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap/old powerhead to mix it for you (takes a few hours this way, but very little work on your part). You also have to do it slowly over time, you can't just shock with large changes. Also your Siamese algae eater might be freshwater only, so you need to look into that.

As far as BB, the Aquarium Salt shouldn't impact it if used in small dosage... its used for medicating fish. Its good your using it now, but wont be needed once you start using marine salt for him. However, marine salt in large fast changes will kill your BB if you went straight to brackish or marine. Instead, you want to do it slowly over time (which you want to do for the health of your GSP anyhow). This allows the new bacteria types to grow and wont be as stressful on your GSP (in fact, you may see him get more active). I wouldn't change more than 0.001 increase a week and get him to about 1.007-1.008 (so it will take about 8 weeks). To increase to brackish, do some google searching.. there's tons of articles out there.. but simple form, you have a 20 gallon tank with 1.000 salt level. Mix a 5 gallon bucket with 1.003, remove 5 gallons from your aquarium of freshwater and put in the brackish, you should have about 1.001.

You need to do some research about GSP's and making brackish water.
Here's a few links:
Green Spotted Puffer Fish Care - Size, Lifespan, TankMates, Breeding.

New Threads