Why isn’t my plant thriving?

I’m not sure what plant this is (if someone could tell me that would be helpful!) but it was easily 10 inches long last year. But then my angelfish started eating it’s leaves and I had to trim most of its leaves off. Since then it’s grown leaves that are 4-5 inches but they have all rotted away. Now, it’s been like this for a month or two. Barely any leaves are growing healthy and get bigger than an 2-3 inches. Why won’t it grow and/or what deficiency does it have?

BAD60FA5-4E1F-4D88-82BB-F0EC0AE7B138.jpeg2686EA5B-87FC-4D5B-8FB1-92F27FC09EC3.jpeg

Solution
Is it supposed to grow roots? I kept mine in an air tight cup filled with water in a cupboard. It's been about 25 days and it has new roots and no leaves.
No, it will not grow new roots or leaves until placed in the aquarium again. I would wait another month until placing it in the aquarium again. Make sure you give them some root tabs when you decide to place them in the tank once more.
I’m not sure what plant this is (if someone could tell me that would be helpful!) but it was easily 10 inches long last year. But then my angelfish started eating it’s leaves and I had to trim most of its leaves off. Since then it’s grown leaves that are 4-5 inches but they have all rotted away. Now, it’s been like this for a month or two. Barely any leaves are growing healthy and get bigger than an 2-3 inches. Why won’t it grow and/or what deficiency does it have?

View attachment 789828View attachment 789829
Hmm where did you get it? Are you sure it’s an aquatic plant?

Also, do you dose any fertilizers?

View attachment 789828View attachment 789829
Looks like an Aponogeton Ulvaceus bulb. This plant does have dormancy phases after some time, as in the wild these plants have a wet and dry season. Take the bulb out of the tank and rip the leaves and roots off of it. Place it in a wet damp cloth or cup of sand and store it in a dry and dark place for a few months. Put the bulb back into your tank and surround it with root tabs. It should come back full force. Leaving it in your tank will just cause it to die off, regardless of ferts, lighting and all of that. The plant has genetically evolved to grow this way.

Hmm where did you get it? Are you sure it’s an aquatic plant?

Also, do you dose any fertilizers?
I think I got it at petsmart but I've had it for more than 1.5 years so I'm not too sure. I'm sure it's an aquatic plant since I always check the label before buying plants from petsmart.

I dose fertilizer every 2 months (mostly because I forget to). I use the Excel Flourish fertilizer.
Looks like an Aponogeton Ulvaceus bulb. This plant does have dormancy phases after some time, as in the wild these plants have a wet and dry season. Take the bulb out of the tank and rip the leaves and roots off of it. Place it in a wet damp cloth or cup of sand and store it in a dry and dark place for a few months. Put the bulb back into your tank and surround it with root tabs. It should come back full force.
I just searched it up and I think it is that! When it was big it looked like this:
1621119259301.png

I think I got it at petsmart but I've had it for more than 1.5 years so I'm not too sure. I'm sure it's an aquatic plant since I always check the label before buying plants from petsmart.

I dose fertilizer every 2 months (mostly because I forget to). I use the Excel Flourish fertilizer.

I just searched it up and I think it is that! When it was big it looked like this:
View attachment 789830
Yup, that is indeed an Aponogeton Ulvaceus. :D

Looks like an Aponogeton Ulvaceus bulb. This plant does have dormancy phases after some time, as in the wild these plants have a wet and dry season. Take the bulb out of the tank and rip the leaves and roots off of it. Place it in a wet damp cloth or cup of sand and store it in a dry and dark place for a few months. Put the bulb back into your tank and surround it with root tabs. It should come back full force. Leaving it in your tank will just cause it to die off, regardless of ferts, lighting and all of that. The plant has genetically evolved to grow this way.
ok thank you! Should I keep the cloth wet or is there no need to?

Keep the cloth moist, wrap the bulb in there and just store it. It will dry out over time, but that is what is supposed to happen. I use Betta cups and sand for storing mine and that works well for me.

Keep the cloth moist, wrap the bulb in there and just store it. It will dry out over time, but that is what is supposed to happen. I use Betta cups and sand for storing mine and that works well for me.
Is it supposed to grow roots? I kept mine in an air tight cup filled with water in a cupboard. It's been about 25 days and it has new roots and no leaves.

No, it will not grow new roots or leaves until placed in the aquarium again. I would wait another month until placing it in the aquarium again. Make sure you give them some root tabs when you decide to place them in the tank once more.

Solution
Top Bottom