Why is this platy not eating?

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Gene Benson, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Gene BensonNew MemberMember

First of all, I'm new to fish keeping and the forums, so please be gentle. I would also like to say that I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find anything on the search feature of the forums.

I went to the pet store at the end of May and got four platies to go in my 40g aquarium, it is literally a bare aquarium with no decor whatsoever. Later on a friend told me that I should place some freshly cut oak branches in the aquarium for a place to hide for the fish. I decided to take my second aquarium (a 10g guppy breeding nursery for mother guppies to birth there fry.) and place my three female platies so they can have a break from the male platy that appeared to be bullying them. Three days ago two of the female platies died and the third is showing signs of pregnancy (I'm assuming they were all pregnant.)

I followed my friends advice again and placed some fresh oak branches in the 10g but I'm starting to think that the branches are causing ammonia to spike. I should also mention that these aquariums are on my shaded outdoor screen room. The male platy seems content to be on his own, but the female platy has quit eating and seems somewhat lethargic. What should I do?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

What are the water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? I would guess that the water parameters are causing issues (though fresh cut branches aren't usually recommended for fish tanks - dried out branches are better).

3. OP
    OP
    G

Gene BensonNew MemberMember

Nitrate- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    pH- 6.8
    Ammonia- Unknown (ran out of test kits, planning on getting some more soon.)
    Temp- 75 degrees Fahrenheit

Sorry I forgot to post the parameters originally.

I know a little about the nitrogen cycle, and btw I did a 40% water change earlier this morning, she still seems a little lethargic though.

4. OP
    OP
    G

Gene BensonNew MemberMember

Update: I learned a lot more of the nitrogen cycle, added some floating plants to the 40g along with two new female platies, and finally added the original platy that seemed sick and she is much happier with her new friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice