Why is this happening

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Lady Monster, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I have 3 rcs left. 1 is solid red, 1 is clearish with red markings. The last 1 i hadnt seen for a while now so i thought it died somewhere.... Well i was checking out my molly to see if she started giving birth yet and this hideous looking shrimp ran across the gravel it was almost completely colorless!!!! Why is it losing color? There is a "yellow saddle" does this indicate female or pregnant??

No it was definitely not an exoskeleton. It was very much alive and very much not a red cherry shrimp anymore :( this explains why i hadnt seen it, it had no color and would of otherwise been invisible to me if it hadnt ran directly in my sight.

2. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

3. A

AquaticsMan New Member Member

Hi, the yellow behind head is a saddle, it's storing eggs but not pregnant yet. The colour loss might be due to shrimp being low grade, or water conditions.

4. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't noticed, but are they usually lighter colored after molting by chance? Anyone know? If so, it could be that too.

5. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I have only seen 1 exoskeleton and i can say for sure who it belonged to.

6. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Ok im not sure if i have any males, but definitely 1 female. Thanks.

7. Bithimala

Yep that one is definitely female. I don't know the molting vs pregnant process. I do know that usually once a female molts the guys go nuts trying to find her to mate. With the saddle I was thinking maybe she just did or would be soon which may be part of the color change.

8. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Not sure what caused the color loss but she is red again now. Hoping the other 2 shrimp are males so I can make up for the 6 shrimp that died.

I keep seeing all 3 of them out at the same time, which is very rare.

9. Bithimala

Have the other two been running around like spazzes? Glad to hear that she is red again!

10. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

2 of them have been hanging out in the floating plants and the other has been going on snail rides. I cant even tell them apart now because the female got so red. I am gonna have to research about baby rcs, i hope i get some. Ive debated collecting them from the 30 gallon and putting them in a small tank like a 2.5 or a 5 so they are on their own and could maybe reproduce without the other fish in the tank. Im told that my fish might eat the baby shrimp. But i do have lots of bacopa for babies to hide in.

11. Bithimala

If you're going to move them and have a cycled tank available, I'd strongly recommend doing it before there are babies. They're tiny and would be nigh on impossible to catch to move over :) Yes, fully possible that almost any fish will eat some of the babies, but you'll usually get a lot of babies at a time, so eating a few may not be a big deal.

12. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Its going to be hard enough catching the 3 adults lol. I may just keep them on their own tank until i have a nice population going.

13. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

Well i found her, pinched in the water wheel on my bubbler. I jammed the wheel because My snails like to try to fit thru the window and get their head smacked while they're stuck. The rock i used must have moved when i filled the tank back up after doing a water change so the wheel was spinning with her pinched in the groove. I was able to free her but she looked a little crooked..... And no longer saddled. I think the term is berried, when the eggs move down their back. I really hope she is going to be ok.

14. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

15. Bithimala

lol, I don't know how many things I have used to keep snails from getting stuck places. Hopefully she's ok. You should be able to see eggs down in her abdomen now, and yes, the term is berried.

16. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

I did have some pantyhose zip tied around my old filter intake after the other shrimp died.

All 4 of my snails have gotten stuck in the window next to the wheel, they must have good memories because none of them will go near the house anymore lol. They all looked pretty ticked off after i removed them.

17. Bithimala

My oldest has literally gotten herself stuck in just about everything she can. We're now working on healing up shell damage and operculum (though not sure if that will actually heal) from her last adventure where she got herself completely wedged into some wood I had in the tank and had to use some decent force to get her out...

18. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

When i bought the decor i didn't think about the snails getting themselves stuck. But lessons are being learned. I have cuttle bone in the tank but idk if its doing anything for them. I was going to buy calcium powder but it had reptiles on the front so i wasn't sure if it was aquarium safe and i didn't buy it.

19. Bithimala

You should be ok with the cuttlebone in there. Are you seeing any new damage to the front parts of their shells? You can also get liquid calcium made for aquariums.

Don't feel bad about it. I initially didn't think about décor either, and then she got stuck in something, then she got stuck again, then again... half the reason I have rearranged my tank as many times as I have is because of her (the one in my profile pic). I really didn't think the wood was going to be a concern, but lo and behold, she got herself really stuck in it... apparently turning around wasn't something she wanted to do, so she just pushed herself further and further in between the branches. Needless to say, the spider wood is no longer in the tank, lol.

20. OP
    OP
    Lady Monster

the first couple weeks i had them their shell kind of had a thin layer peel off where the new growth is. But they arent peeling anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice