why is she chasing him(?) away? Question

1. lynnie Initiate Member

i just got 2 black mollies a week ago. and the one jasmine has become alot fatter and has started chasing willie away. they use to hang out all the time together. she doesnt bother the 2 other fish in the tank. it is a 35 gal tank so i am sure crowding isnt an issue. could she be pregnant?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi lynnie, welcome to fishlore! I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, just wanted to say Hiya.

3. lynnie Initiate Member

thanks for saying hi, i am glad i found this site.:;banaman

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, it's really awesome. The people here are extremely supportive.

I don't know why your mollies are giving you trouble, but I can tell you about the nitrogen cycle if you don't mind a bit of interference. :) Learning it's probably the most important thing you can do for your fish. You should read the link on it, but basically, it is this:

Your fish waste breaks down into ammonia. The ammonia is processed by bacteria, turning into nitrites. Those are processed by bacteria, turning into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are lethal for fish. That's why so many fish die in home aquariums. Some nitrates are okay.

A good liquid test kit, such as the API master test kit, let you know these levels. Once your tank shows 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates, it means your tank has gone through the nitrogen cycle and has enough beneficial bacteria living in the gravel and filter to process fish waste into nonlethal nitrates.

Weekly water changes help keep nitrate levels in check, and replenish minerals and oxygen into the tank water.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Right on!

As for your fish, she may just be getting tired of his advances. Livebearers are best kept 2-3 females for every male. Males can actually pester a female to death. Having 3 females allows for the males attention to be split 3 ways.

6. lynnie Initiate Member

thank you i will pick up a couple of more tomorrow. heading to the city. google is how i found this site.

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Is it more urgent to get more girls or to cycle the tank? I don't know which is more dangerous... ???

8. lynnie Initiate Member

i had 4 tinfoil barb and a gold fish in the tank for about a month befor i moved them and put in the mollies. i did just read up on tank cycling. one person said to use septo bac. i cant use that with fish in it. i also have aammonia remover in my filter system is that ok.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

could you fill out your aquarium info to include everything in the tank, including the ammonia remover, please? it helps members give you accurate advice/ :)

Ammonia remover and ammonia detoxifier are different. You don't want to remove ammonia because you need it to be a food source for that good bacteria I talked about earlier. A good detoxifier will leave the ammonia in the tank but make it safe for the fish. I use Prime, made by Seachem. It detoxifies nitrites and ammonia, and also removes chlorines, etc.

An API test kit and a bottle of Prime are great tools to have. Just as a warning, the API kit is expensive up front. But it is really accurate, and has hundreds of tests so will last you much longer than the strips, which aren't reliable anyway.

The only instant cycle product I know of that has the correct bacteria is Tetra Safe Start. It has to be that exact product, others with similar names will not work. The storekeepers will push you to buy things like Cycle or StressZyme - these do not work. If you want to purchase some TSS, it's how I cycled my tank and it works. I'd recommend buying bigger bottles than your tanks need, and making sure they aren't expired. Research use before you actually put it into your tank. It's expensive and finicky, and you don't want to waste it.

I hope this information is helping you. :)

10. omnitheforsaken Member Member

I would say it is more urgent to cycle your tank. You can add decor to your aquarium that will allow the lone female to break line of sight w/ the male and get a little rest. While this isn't the best solution, it'll do for the cycling period. An even better option would be to add TSS and some females. Then it's all taken care of with the least amount of effort.