Why Is My Water Cloudy

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
My 10 gallon tank water is cloudy, it's been clear until yesterday, I did a 2 gallon water change treated with prime and added stress zyme today, my tank is still cloudy. I have 2 male sword tails, 1 female sword tail, a golden panda Molly, 2 otos, 3 bamboo shrimp and 2 very small baby shrimp one red, and one black and white, those are very small and stay hidden. What should I do, I am so frustrated!
Please help ❣ Thank you

Ginni

Reaction score
I would have to agree with Dakotablue on this one i have same issue with my 55 gallon tank and was told i need to do a 50% water change to help get rid of it and your right it's extremely frustrating i even tried water clarifyer and it only made my tank look worse !

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What else did you clean? Did you clean the filters in tank water or tap water?

How old is the tank?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bioblooms don't get better with water changes, they normally get worse. This is a dense population of bacteria that (for some reason) are waterborne. Test your water. If things look good, give it a day to settle down.
If no new fish were added, and you haven't done any maintenance, there may be a problem with your filter media, and now would be a good time to check.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dakotablue said:
Is it a bacterial bloom perhaps?
Fashooga said:
What else did you clean? Did you clean the filters in tank water or tap water?

How old is the tank?
The tank is 4 months old I have bought a new filter a stronger one mine was for a 10 gal tank so I now have an aqua clear 20. I cleaned filter, took everything apart, I took 2 gal of water out and replaced with new, I used bottled water. I have no clue why this is happening, I do not have live plants all plastic or silicone it's a glow tank so the silicone decorations are also softer not to hurt fish I'm at the point of giving up!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think it's a bloom if you changed the filter. Now, you will need to recycle the tank.

You also have some stocking issues.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mick Frost said:
Bioblooms don't get better with water changes, they normally get worse. This is a dense population of bacteria that (for some reason) are waterborne. Test your water. If things look good, give it a day to settle down.
If no new fish were added, and you haven't done any maintenance, there may be a problem with your filter media, and now would be a good time to check.
I have already done all maintenance, bought a stronger filter, I have a 10 gal. tank and bought an aqua clear 20. I have done my water changes I do used bottled water, everything was perfect, now this is the second time with cloudy water, my water tested high nitrates and nitrites, the pet store said do a water change and everything will be fine, well it's not! I am so frustrated and have spent a lot of money to make it perfect, I'm ready to give up!

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
I think it's a bloom if you changed the filter. Now, you will need to recycle the tank.

You also have some stocking issues.
Sorry for not understanding but what is bloom and how do I get rid of it?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability said:
Sorry for not understanding but what is bloom and how do I get rid of it?
You dont get rid of it, you give it time to find places to hide. Changing the filter was with good intentions, and I applaud you for trying to keep your fish healthy.
What needs to happen now is basically another cycle. Your old established filter is gone, and your new one is still "new", and you lost a lot of bacteria in the process.
Does the filter have the green foam on the front in the little plastic cage or the black foam?

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sarah73 said:
You are also very over stocked so that will help with the bacterial bloom. Is your tank cycled
Yes its been cycled, you said its overstocked I have 4 fish the others are 3 shrimp, 2 otos I have 2 baby shrimp but they are so small you can't even find them.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mick Frost said:
You dont get rid of it, you give it time to find places to hide. Changing the filter was with good intentions, and I applaud you for trying to keep your fish healthy.
What needs to happen now is basically another cycle. Your old established filter is gone, and your new one is still "new", and you lost a lot of bacteria in the process.
Does the filter have the green foam on the front in the little plastic cage or the black foam?
It has white foam then black bag of carbon then white bio max but I've had the new filter for a couple of months so it's definitely cycled.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability said:
I have already done all maintenance, bought a stronger filter, I have a 10 gal. tank and bought an aqua clear 20. I have done my water changes I do used bottled water, everything was perfect, now this is the second time with cloudy water, my water tested high nitrates and nitrites, the pet store said do a water change and everything will be fine, well it's not! I am so frustrated and have spent a lot of money to make it perfect, I'm ready to give up!
Did you transfer the media from your old filter into the new filter?

If you didn't and your using new media and threw out the old one that will cause the tank to essentially recycle itself.

If you took the old media from your old filter and placed it into the new filter and added new filter, you will go through a mini cycle as the BB is trying to attach itself to the new media.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dakotablue said:
Is it a bacterial bloom perhaps?
I have never heard of bacterial bloom forgive me for not knowing this could you please tell me what it is and what it looks like and how do I get rid of it? If you have a pic of it could you show me what it looks like thank you

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability said:
It has white foam then black bag of carbon then white bio max but I've had the new filter for a couple of months so it's definitely cycled.
Sorry, you said AquaClear, I read Aqueon. My bad.
So if I'm understanding this right;
-Your filter is cycled (over a month in operation, media unchanged, uncleaned)
-You haven't added any new fish
-You're currently dosing Prime
-The cloudiness was not affected by a water change.
If all that is correct, then it's an entirely different problem.
Does the tank get any direct sunlight?
Have you lost any fish?
Any chance that a bug or two made it into your tank?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability said:
I have never heard of bacterial bloom forgive me for not knowing this could you please tell me what it is and what it looks like and how do I get rid of it? If you have a pic of it could you show me what it looks like thank you
I don't have a pic (not really something you want to show off). Biobloom is a white haze, and is sometimes accompanied by little white fuzzy-looking strings (that feel like snot) attached to any soft, porous surface.
It happens when the bacterial colony ramps up too fast, or when there isn't enough surface area for the bacteria to colonize. It can also happen on purpose by giving your sponge a squeeze.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mick Frost said:
-Your filter is cycled (over a month in operation, media unchanged, uncleaned)noNo on all things you asked, my husband
Have you lost any fish?
Any chance that a bug or two made it into your tank
Mick Frost said:
Have you lost any fish?
No on all accounts my tank is not near any sunlight, my husband took a water sample to our fish store today they said Imoverfeeding the fish my nitrites were just a little high, so they said to feed a small every other day, and let the filter do its job..
This came from the owner and the manager who we always deal with, so as much as it's going to bother me, because I think they are hungry I have to do it Let's see what happens!
Mick Frost said:
Have you lost any fish?
No on all accounts my husband took a water sample up there today, the owner and the manager were there my nitrites were a little high so they said I'm overfeeding them..now I have to feed every other day small amounts and the water should clear up. I always think their hungry!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom