Why is my water clouding up all the time?

1. JLO Initiate Member

I have a 45 gallon tank with angels and sharks and Koi in the tank. Last night I changed the filters and 20 percent of the water...actually more then 20 percent and the new water that I added I put in the aqua clear to take out the chlorine etc. But it doesnt seem to want to clear up. Why does it get cloudy(Im not overfeeding) I know that. The pellets I use for the koi say that it wont cloud the tank and the tropical fish food gets eaten so quickly that it doesnt have time to cloud up. Anyone have any answers? I am stumped. I have no live plants, but I do have gravel and some natural rock in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ???
    Thank you :)

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

How long has your tank been set up?

3. JLO Initiate Member

Hi Mike
    Thanks for responding. I have had this tank now since February. Its not all the time...but more then I like it to. I have used drops to clear it up but it doesn't seem to be working. Any ideas?? ???
    JLO

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi JLO,

What kind of filter are you using? Are you changing out all of the filter material at once? If so, most likely your tank is having to go through a mini-cycle every time you do that. The gravel and tank objects (wall, ornaments, plants) will have some beneficial bacteria on them but the majority of the bacteria will be in the filter media.

Did you mean to write goldfish instead of koi??? A 45 gallon is going to be way too small for a koi because they can get to be 2 or 3 feet fully grown. Koi is usually kept in very large tanks or ponds.

Later,
    Mike

5. JLO Initiate Member

yup I meang koi...according to the fish store they will only grow according to the size of the tank, the larger the tank the larger they get is what we were told. We have only 3. As for the filter. I changed it last month and its a dual fiter with the blue charcol and the other filter is white in colour. I rinse that out about once a week. I was told it can be cleaned by rincing it out real well. Plus I cleaned the whole filter unit and the plants are all plastic. So I am not sure what else it could be. Today (July2) the tank does seem clearer. Not a 100 percent but its alot better then before.
    Thanks for responding.
    JLO

6. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You are probably cleaning a little too well. ;) When you rinse your filter media, if you are rinsing with water out of your tap and not old tank water or water that has been conditioned, you are killing your good bacteria, and the cloudiness is your bacteria playing catch up with your ammonia and nitrites. It's called a bacterial bloom. Like Mike said, you are cycling again. Have you checked your ammonia and nitrites when the tank is cloudy? That would tell us a lot. ;)

7. fletch Member Member

If its just the once that this has happened it could always be something simple like the water company running tests or cleaning the pipes. we have that about twice a year and it makes the water cloudy but its completely safe. Dont know, just a suggestion.

8. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Or something I thought of that may have caused cloud in the water is a new gravel or ornament have you added any new things into the tank? My daft friend bought some dead coral back from Egypt and put it in his tank and it polluted the tank pretty badly even though he washed it.