Why is my sword so... low?

I've got an amazon sword (at least, it was sold as such) that I've been keeping for probably 5-6 years now. For the longest time, it was tiny, only a few leaves, and didn't seem to grow much at all. Finally in the last couple of years, it has been growing at an impressive rate. However, its growth is unlike I was expecting since it seems to be really wide and flat, not gaining any real height. I had expected this to be a nice centerpiece plant, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed it isn't growing taller and providing more shade underneath. Substrate is eco-complete (previously had it in eco complete in a smaller tank, then black beauty, and then sand capped dirt), and I use flourish root tabs every 3-6 months, Ei dosing dry ferts (GLA edta micros, monopotassium phosphate, potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate), co2 injection and excel recently to combat BBA outbreak. The tank stays around 76 degrees, 7.6-8.0 ph, 0 ammonia and nitrite, and I try to keep it below 40ppm nitrate. Is my lighting too intense? Or is this just a type of sword that stays low and wide? Sorry, my glass needs cleaning. Also, the arrangement of plants is pretty chaotic... the tank is also growing out some plants for an upcoming tank.

W8QOvIj.jpg

Solution
Looks great to me. You do need a bit brighter light for your tank and it will explode with growth. Ask the pet store to show you a medium spectrum light
According to my kill-a-watt, my current lights (LED 6000k flood) are pulling about 60 watts. When I build the canopy for my 55 gallon and transfer the stock over, I might go with a Finnex Planted+ like I have on my 5gal desktop setup (shown below). But man that tank is a lot to keep up with lol. I went a little too high tech. IMG-4118.jpg
Welcome to fishlore.

If you're EI dosing and injecting CO2, your plants don't look like it. Considering your set up, I would guess your plants are not getting enough light.

If you're EI dosing and injecting CO2, your plants don't look like it. Considering your set up, I would guess your plants are not getting enough light.

In fairness, I've only been running CO2 for maybe six to nine months. I neglected the tank pretty bad after a breakdown that took the better part of a year to recover from, hence the BBA outbreak, but this tank has my full attention once again.

What is it you see that makes you say not enough light? Just curious, so I can understand.

I've got an amazon sword (at least, it was sold as such) that I've been keeping for probably 5-6 years now. For the longest time, it was tiny, only a few leaves, and didn't seem to grow much at all. Finally in the last couple of years, it has been growing at an impressive rate. However, its growth is unlike I was expecting since it seems to be really wide and flat, not gaining any real height. I had expected this to be a nice centerpiece plant, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed it isn't growing taller and providing more shade underneath. Substrate is eco-complete (previously had it in eco complete in a smaller tank, then black beauty, and then sand capped dirt), and I use flourish root tabs every 3-6 months, Ei dosing dry ferts (GLA edta micros, monopotassium phosphate, potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate), co2 injection and excel recently to combat BBA outbreak. The tank stays around 76 degrees, 7.6-8.0 ph, 0 ammonia and nitrite, and I try to keep it below 40ppm nitrate. Is my lighting too intense? Or is this just a type of sword that stays low and wide? Sorry, my glass needs cleaning. Also, the arrangement of plants is pretty chaotic... the tank is also growing out some plants for an upcoming tank.

View attachment 793583
I have two swords that look similar to this, they grow different than all other ones I have. I purchased them from Dustin'sFishtanks, I think He labeled them as "Pointy Swords." In his photos they grow tall & skinny. In my 29g they grew wide & flat like yours. Do you remember what they were labeled when purchased?

Looks great to me. You do need a bit brighter light for your tank and it will explode with growth. Ask the pet store to show you a medium spectrum light

According to my kill-a-watt, my current lights (LED 6000k flood) are pulling about 60 watts. When I build the canopy for my 55 gallon and transfer the stock over, I might go with a Finnex Planted+ like I have on my 5gal desktop setup (shown below). But man that tank is a lot to keep up with lol. I went a little too high tech. IMG-4118.jpg

Solution
Top Bottom