Why is my plant dying? Using Fertilizer

MupsIsLife

Hello, seven weeks ago I decided to give my tank a whole new makeover. I planted some easy plants and decided to use some fertiliser, something I never done before. The past six weeks where doing great, my anubias grew a new leaf, my java fern started getting green tips and brown spots, and my crypts exploded. Even the plant that I have a problem with was doing great, the past few weeks it exploded like crazy, allot of new leaves grew and the plant became pretty big. I don’t know the identity of the plant but after asking on this forum someone thinks it’s from the sword Family. Now my problem, is that suddenly the last week the old leaves have been turning yellow like crazy. Some turn yellow from the tip while others turn yellow from the middel of the leave. Some leaves look like they’re literary melting away. After I did my weekly water change I decided to remove al the dead leaves. It was really weird because one leaves, even if it was completely with stem and all yellow, it wasn’t mushy, but still very strong. The fertilisers I’m using are tetra initial sticks for my substrate (I don’t have nutrient rich substrate) and all in one liquid fertiliser from planted box (I really wanted thrive or easy green but they couldn’t be shipped to my country). Also my crypts started developing some holes in the older leaves but I heard this is normal and it’s called crypt melt because they have to acclimate to new new water parameters. Does the same go for my sword? My anubias and java fern don’t seem to have this problem, is this also normal to happen by frogbit? I got one a week ago and allot of the roots fell and allot of the leaves died. I really hope this is just the plants getting used to the aquarium even though they been in there for seven weeks bellow I attached a few pictures of the amazon sword and the dead leaves I cut from it. I really hope someone can help me. Kind regards Mups

Woops when I said amazon sword I just mean a sword of the sword family like I said I still don’t know which type of plant it is.

angelcraze

Wow what a nice plant! Idk what it is either, but it does look like a sword type. I'm thinking a melon sword, they stay shorter and spread out wider. No spots on the plant like S.ozelot, but maybe marble queen? My marble queen swords grew in all green like that, but they are not nearly as large. But still, they can get pretty big.

The yellow doesn't really look like a deficiency to me and more mechanical damage. Keep in mind you can remove what you want without hurting the plant. Like when they get too large, it's ok to pinch some leaves off. So yes, remove any unsightly leaves.

Holes in the old crypt leaves could mean a deficiency (most likely potassium) but if the plant is growing nice new leaves, i'd roll with that.

You can try a root tab under the swords and crypts, they always do so much better for me with it. Easy to do too! I use Osmocote plus as root tabs, but I only plant one or two granules instead of using the medicine gel caps. I find it was too much.

MupsIsLife

Okay thanks! That’s great to hear. I was already using root tabs before but I can up the dossage.

angelcraze

Okay thanks! That’s great to hear. I was already using root tabs before but I can up the dossage.
That's ok, don't go crazy with the tabs, it could add too much nutrient and encourage algae. So if you have a fresh-ish tab there it should be enough and I say things are leveling out and adjusting.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ExcitedBetta
Replies
Views
MissNoodle
Replies
Views
T'sTropicalTanks
Replies
Views