Why is my pH high?

willjames37

My pH used to be about 7.5, the same as my tap water. Now it keeps raising to like 8.3 and I have no idea why. I use play sand which I vacuum every week and just added fresh sand on top of it to put plants in my tank. I washed all the plastic plants and replaced the filter other than the biological media. I use rocks that I tested when I collected them to see if they would have a reaction to something from the API test kit (it was years ago, don't remember exactly what the procedure was) to see if they would affect my pH, and I didn't get a reaction so I've always had them in the tank. I used to have driftwood but I don't at the moment, I'm waiting for some I ordered to come in. I have 7 small live plants right now. Should I add more plants, or consider using CO2? Or will the pH be fine after I put the driftwood in? I just don't understand why it's so high in the first place.

Bunkerchunk

Are you testing your tap water fresh out of the tap or letting it sit for a while before testing?
I've found that my tap water tests at a higher ph after sitting for a while (24 hours or so).

fwiw I have a pretty heavily planted low tech set up with driftwood, corys, & neons with a tank ph of ~8.2 & have had no problems for about 7+ months now. I wouldn't worry too much about ph other than to keep it consistent...

Broggy

willjames37 said:
just added fresh sand on top
what kind of sand on top?

willjames37

Broggy said:
what kind of sand on top?
Just play sand, I think it's the same kind I used before
Bunkerchunk said:
Are you testing your tap water fresh out of the tap or letting it sit for a while before testing?
I've found that my tap water tests at a higher ph after sitting for a while (24 hours or so).

fwiw I have a pretty heavily planted low tech set up with driftwood, corys, & neons with a tank ph of ~8.2 & have had no problems for about 7+ months now. I wouldn't worry too much about ph other than to keep it consistent...
The water I use for my frogs that sits out for 24 hours tests 7.5 as well

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom