1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is My Ph Always So High Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by T'sTropicalTanks, Jun 19, 2019.

1. T'sTropicalTanksValued MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon planted tank (very low tech, no co2, average light). The ph seems to be always at the max threshold on the API test kit kit chart IMG_3197.jpg which seems to be 7.8 maybe even 8. this seems very adnormal for a freshwater system given I do nothing whatsoever that could buffer the tank. It matches my source water but doesn’t the ph of tap water gradually acidify after being added to the established system anyway??

Other parameters in case they matter:
    Ammonia- .25 ppm
    Nitrite- 0ppm
    Nitrate-25 ppm

I keep mostly South American fish such as catfish, tetras, an angel I’ll probably rehome soon anyway due to size, and dwarf cichlids. Everything in there now is fine, mostly because they’ve adapted to it. But getting new fish can be a struggle sometimes. I do monthly water changes and add seachem root tabs every 2 months, dose flourish comp. once a week, and iron and potassium every other day.

2. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

You can try the high range ph test kit that will tell u exactly what ur ph is seeing as ur ph is showing right at the top of normal ph test it could just be ur tap water that is high ph there are more experienced people on here than me they might be able to tell u how u can lower it!

3. DixieFishNew MemberMember

Try testing for KH. (I have similar water, testing in the high pH range right out of the tap.) High KH in your water won't let your pH drop, no matter how many water changes you do. To combat, I used to mix filtered rain water with my tap, but it was easier to add just a little boiled and washed organic peat moss to my filtration (bagged, of course, otherwise it makes a huge mess). My pH now comfortably sits between 7.2 and 7.6 and I don't have to pre-treat the water. There are also hardness buffer pads out on the market that do the same thing, if you don't care for a brief slight tint to the water.

If that doesn't help, then perhaps there is something dissolving in the substrate or decor that is leaching minerals?

4. DonthemonWell Known MemberMember

7.6 isn’t high really. Also monthly water changes really need to be weekly. Won’t help the ph but will help the plants and fish.

5. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I agree that you should use the high range PH test. It could be even higher than what you are seeing using the low range test.

How many dwarf cichlids and what kinds? What kind of tetras and how many? what kind of catfish and how many?

I also agree that monthly water changes are not sufficient. And the fact that you have ammonia in your tank is a result of that.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the PH, but rather, keeping the water quality as good as possible for the fish.

As you have seen, they can adapt to different PH levels. And if you are having trouble with new fish, maybe you need to acclimate them longer. What is your acclimation process??

6. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

Let us know what the high range PH is. :)

7. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

if you have high KH, that will buffer the acidity from the nitrogen cycle.

an API GH/KH test is only $5-6 on ebay.

depending on where you live, water can be hard or soft.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019