Why Is my Peppered Cory sometimes Float Above the Gravel

CoryMaster151

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank 65L (17.2 Gallons)
How long has the tank been running? 7 Months
Does it have a filter? Aqua One Clearview 280 Hang Filter
Does it have a heater? Aqua One 100W Heater
What is the water temperature? 26°C (78.8F)
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 Female Platys
1 Male Platy
4 Peppered Corydoras
2 Brittlenose Plecos
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 2 Weeks
How much of the water do you change? 50% of Water
What do you use to treat your water? No as i am on Rainwater with no Chlorine
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum 25-40% of the gravel every 2 weeks when doing water change

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did the in Fish Cycle
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-5
pH: 6.8-7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Every day except for Sunday (No Food Day)
How much do you feed your fish? 1 small pinch of tropical flakes for the Platys, 2 Algae Wafer for the plecos and corys
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aqua One Dried Food
Do you feed frozen? No But i put Cucumber in the tank for the bottom feeders.
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3 Days ago when feeding
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Sometimes Mainly 1 float just a little bit above the gravel
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I added Melafix as my LFS recommended it to stop a possible disease
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? NO
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Seems to be a lot more active than the other ones

Explain your situation in detail?
Hello Everyone
I am new to fishlore and haven’t found a thread on this story. I found 3 days ago that mainly 1 Cory sometimes floats a little above the gravel than the other 3 of them and it seems to breath a little faster than the other ones and seems to like to go up the glass a bit more and sometimes takes more air more frequently than the others. I have been monitoring it and he sometimes Does it and sometimes not floats. I have ran some Melafix through the tank as i wanted to make sure it wasn’t a disease or something and i am adding the last dose of it tonight then will do a 25-50% water change tomorrow depending on how they are. I am not sure if I should be worried or whether he’s just being a pain and trying to make me stress when i don’t need to.

Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks Heaps

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hi there, just quick reply. I noticed you feed your corys algae wafers? They need a higher protein food, apparently algae is hard for them to digest. I didn't know this as my lfs told me otherwise. I use catfish pellets to feed mine

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Hi there, just quick reply. I noticed you feed your corys algae wafers? They need a higher protein food, apparently algae is hard for them to digest. I didn't know this as my lfs told me otherwise. I use catfish pellets to feed mine
Hello,
Thanks for the quick Reply
The only problem i have with that is my brittlenose pleco would eat it as well and likes to steal there food. Is there any brand you recommended?
Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

MacZ

Brands are irrelevant, just make sure the pellets are not the green ones but red ones and have about 50% (give or take) protein content. Avoid fillers like fish meal and grains/starches/carbs (wheat, corn, rice, potato).

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Brands are irrelevant, just make sure the pellets are not the green ones but red ones and have about 50% (give or take) protein content. Avoid fillers like fish meal and grains/starches/carbs (wheat, corn, rice, potato).
Hello,
Thanks for the quick Reply
I will go to the LFS tomorrow and get some.
Would that be causing my problems?
Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

MacZ

Not alone. But it can contribute. The diet is definitely wrong.
The behaviour you describe is not really a sign of any special disease. It could be too many different things.

So I'd like to ask you to stop dosing any more meds. One of the biggest mistakes in fishkeeping is starting med treatment without a diagnose. Most meds are quite aggressive and can damage the fishes immunesystem and inner organs, even causing damage that opens up the oganism to disease or parasites in the first place.

What you used however is basically tea tree oil, which doesn't really have an effect at all, besides being poisonous. You could have more effect using some catappa leaves. Still, have a read:
Tea tree oil - Wikipedia

Otherwise, I'd up the waterchanges to 50% weekly, especially with those poop machines aka pleco and platies. Depending on the type of substrate you can skip vacuuming. Btw, what substrate do you have in that tank, anyways?

Also, a picture of the fish and the tank would be helpful, too.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Not alone. But it can contribute. The diet is definitely wrong.
The behaviour you describe is not really a sign of any special disease. It could be too many different things.

So I'd like to ask you to stop dosing any more meds. One of the biggest mistakes in fishkeeping is starting med treatment without a diagnose. Most meds are quite aggressive and can damage the fishes immunesystem and inner organs, even causing damage that opens up the oganism to disease or parasites in the first place.

What you used however is basically tea tree oil, which doesn't really have an effect at all, besides being poisonous. You could have more effect using some catappa leaves. Still, have a read:
Tea tree oil - Wikipedia

Otherwise, I'd up the waterchanges to 50% weekly, especially with those poop machines aka pleco and platies. Depending on the type of substrate you can skip vacuuming. Btw, what substrate do you have in that tank, anyways?

Also, a picture of the fish and the tank would be helpful, too.
Agree with MacZ.
Hoovering often is a sign of what I call "algaewaferitis". Malnutrition

Upvote 0

Brilliance

I agree with what pretty much everyone else said, change the diet, also, it might be a bit of a small space for two BN plecos but if you can manage the water than it’s all good, personally I’d swap the BN plecos for 4 more corys

Upvote 0

Brilliance

I missed the "2". :eek:
We're in severe overstock territory, if even one of the two is bigger than 6cm.
Yeahhh… Plecos have a HUGE bioload

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all the responses. I will see if I can return the plecos to the LFS today and i will get some 50% or higher protein pellets for them. I will post some pictures of them later as well so it can make it easier. I use Gravel in my tanks as my LFS said it makes it easier to maintain.
Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Here is the video of the Cory as requested. that ONLY sometimes floats. He could be wanting to do it. I don’t know tho. Below is the Link
Link: https://kapwi.ng/c/twCeFL5n

Upvote 0

MacZ

Hey Everyone

Thanks for all the responses. I will see if I can return the plecos to the LFS today and i will get some 50% or higher protein pellets for them. I will post some pictures of them later as well so it can make it easier. I use Gravel in my tanks as my LFS said it makes it easier to maintain.
Thanks heaps

You might also look for frozen food.

Your LFS's employees don't seem to be very knowledgeable. Gravel and Cories don't go together well in most cases. Sand is the easiest to maintain.

The video doesn't work. File-Type-Error. How about just a picture?

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

You might also look for frozen food.

Your LFS's employees don't seem to be very knowledgeable. Gravel and Cories don't go together well in most cases. Sand is the easiest to maintain.

The video doesn't work. File-Type-Error. How about just a picture?
Here is a photo
Sorry about the video
Thanks

Attachments

• E3D9DAA3-601D-48F6-9C1E-1F6A808E8491.png
    E3D9DAA3-601D-48F6-9C1E-1F6A808E8491.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

MacZ

Well at least it still has its barbels.

Doesn't look too bad, but it likely comes down to the food and the water quality.

You might want to at least give them a sandbox so they can have their natural feeding behaviour. Just move some of the gravel aside and replace it with fine sand.

When you implement all those changes it should go away in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Well at least it still has its barbels.

Doesn't look too bad, but it likely comes down to the food and the water quality.

You might want to at least give them a sandbox so they can have their natural feeding behaviour. Just move some of the gravel aside and replace it with fine sand.

When you implement all those changes it should go away in a few weeks.
Thanks so much for your help. Can i just go and get really fine river sand from down on my river and give it a good clean and put it in there. Or does it need to be specially certified for fish.

Upvote 0

MacZ

If said river doesn't have industrial or household wastewater in it, go for it. If it has or if in doubt, better buy sand. But you can get playsand or pool filter sand from the hardware store instead of expensive stuff from the fish store.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

If said river doesn't have industrial or household wastewater in it, go for it. If it has or if in doubt, better buy sand. But you can get playsand or pool filter sand from the hardware store instead of expensive stuff from the fish store.
Hey MacZ
Thanks for your support of resolving this issue
I think I will just get some pool filter sand and will make the fish tank half gravel and half sand. Would the sand in the water wreck the impeller sucking it up?
Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

MacZ

Would the sand in the water wreck the impeller sucking it up?

No, just switch it off while you're changing out the substrate and let it sit for an hour or so before you switch it on again. The filter shouldn't be able to suck up sand at all, especially not after it has settled.
Also rinse the sand thoroughly before using it and add it with a small plastic cup or sth like that, so it doesn't all dust up your tank.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

No, just switch it off while you're changing out the substrate and let it sit for an hour or so before you switch it on again. The filter shouldn't be able to suck up sand at all, especially not after it has settled.
Also rinse the sand thoroughly before using it and add it with a small plastic cup or sth like that, so it doesn't all dust up your tank.
So when the cories are eating and making a mess of it and making the sand unsettled it should be ok and not wreck it. Sorry to be a pain. But just want to make sure. Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

MacZ

They can't even stir up that much sand. No worries. ;)

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Hey everyone.

I noticed yesterday and today that one of my corries has big eyes and he can’t seem to stay on the gravel and just keeps floating. But sometimes he is fine. He continually floats then he swims back down to the gravel then floats again. Does anyone know what this could be. I did a 50% water change yesterday to get rid of the melafix and didn't feed them last night. I notice one of my other cories sometimes floats a little bit as well, it seems it likes to do some laps around the tank as well. Thanks heaps for any advice.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Update
Tonight I saw him in a plant and as soon as i turned off the light he got down and has been sitting down near the air stone for now. Not wanting to eat

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Not a good sign. Have had peppereds doing this and dieing soon afterwards (unknown reason). Sorry !

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

Not a good sign. Have had peppereds doing this and dieing soon afterwards (unknown reason). Sorry !
Sorry for the late response. I put him down as he was banging into everything and he had a couple of cuts on him which were bleeding. But on the good side I got some new foods, Live plants and Sand. I got 45%Protein wafers which i feed to them 2 times a week. And every other day i feed them vege wafers and bottom feeder wafers which is 33-35% protein. And then letting them have a day break worth of no food once a week. I also got sand this afternoon and have added it to a quarter of the tank so they can play in it and hang out on there if they don’t like the gravel and its a bit more friendlier on there barbels when eating. Last night i actually noticed that one of my cories has a little cut on the bottom of its mouth so it might have cut itself on something during the mouth when searching for food. Anything else i can do to help my little fishies (especially my cories as they are my favourite and i seem to have the most problems with them) is frozen food any good?
Thanks heaps

Upvote 0

A201

It looks like you are doing a very good job managing the Cory Cats. A varied diet of quality foods is one of the core factors of successful fish keeping.
Frozen foods such as blood worms & brine shrimp are great nutritious treats, but rely more on quality flake or pellet foods. I like Omega One & NLS foods.

Upvote 0

CoryMaster151

It looks like you are doing a very good job managing the Cory Cats. A varied diet of quality foods is one of the core factors of successful fish keeping.
Frozen foods such as blood worms & brine shrimp are great nutritious treats, but rely more on quality flake or pellet foods. I like Omega One & NLS foods.
Thank you

Would this be some good frozen food?
Community Food Frozen Fish Food 110g - Aqua One - Inspiring Excellence in Fish Care
Please see attached picture for ingredients
Thinking of feeding frozen food once a week if good
Thanks heaps.

Attachments

• 748EF3C3-F81F-4232-8D7B-425BA55074F9.jpeg
    748EF3C3-F81F-4232-8D7B-425BA55074F9.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

A201

Looks like a very nutritious fish food.
Beef heart is a popular Discus food, but can really pollute a tank if overfed.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Feeding your corys a variety of food will assure that they get the proper nutrition. I feed my little guys Omega one shrimp pellets. Hikari Sinking wafers for bottom feeders, occasionally freeze dried blood worms, Omega One veggie Rounds, Relpashy Grub Pie and just recently have added Tetra shrimp wafers. They also clean up any food I feed my other fish that makes it to the bottom of the tank. I don't feed frozen foods but only because it isn't available locally for me. Getting it shipped to me is just too expensive for the small added benefit to my corys.

Of course i don't feed all at the same time. I just rotate through the various foods. I feed the shrimp pellets and sinking wafers most often. I have way too many corys. I started with 3 albino, 3 bronze and 5 false julii. Unfortunately I lost 3 of the false julii's early on. That was almost 6 years ago. During that time I lost my largest female albino. She was mom to the more than 25 bronze I have in my tank right now. I just noticed another baby cory just last week.

Give your corys fresh clean water, a varied diet and a sandy beach to play on and they should live long healthy lives. Make sure your filter is strong enough to pull the water from the bottom of the tank. Since that is where corys spend the majority of their time we want to keep the water down there fresh. If your uptake tube isn't long enough to reach down to about 3 inches above the substrate add an extension so it is pulling water from the bottom.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Variate in food.
Protein percentage doesn't say much.
Rhere are different types of protein even from a veggie source. Take care they get the right ones (so variate).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darkcat
  • Question
Replies
Views
darkcat
Replies
Views
darkcat