Why Is My Oranda Gulping At The Surface?

  • Thread starter

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
34
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Occasionally my goldfish will gulp at the surfsce of the water. Usually about 10 minutes after I feed he goes to the top and gulps for 1 - 2 minutes. I don't understand why he would be doing this because I pre-soak the pellets before I feed and they sink straight to the bottom. I highly doubt that it's from a lack of oxygen because I use a good quality air pump and I aim the canister outtake slightly up so it creates a lot of agitation. My other Oranda doesn't exhibit this behavior. I don't want my fish to develop swim bladder issues, so what can I do to prevent him from doing this?
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the ammonia at. Sometimes you will see this with ammonia poisoning or if ther'e other chemicals in your water.
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
What size tank? Any tankmates? And I agree with checking the ammonia. By any chance did you feed floating pellets in the past?
 
  • Thread starter

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
34
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
What size tank? Any tankmates? And I agree with checking the ammonia. By any chance did you feed floating pellets in the past?
The tank is 29 gallon, only 2 small orandas one 4 months and the other 6 months. The ammonia is close to 0ppm. Now that I think of it, the pet store probably fed floating flakes but I've him for a little over a month.
 

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
549
Points
148
Experience
More than 10 years
I forgot to consider that he is a goldfish. Most likely, he was just looking for more food since you said it happens during feeding time.
 
  • Thread starter

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
34
Points
63
Experience
2 years
DutchAquarium said:
I forgot to consider that he is a goldfish. Most likely, he was just looking for more food since you said it happens during feeding time.
Do you think if this continues he could develop swim bladder issues or do you think the habit will break by then?
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
It's probably just learned behavior from the flakes; they used to eat from the surface so now they scavenge the surface for more food. The behavior should stop in 1-2 months and they should be fine. Maybe a slightly increased risk of swim bladder, so it's not a bad idea to feed shelled and blanched peas 1-2x weekly, but I don't think it's anything to stress over
 
  • Thread starter

Panda_Mo

Valued Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
34
Points
63
Experience
2 years
Rtessy said:
It's probably just learned behavior from the flakes; they used to eat from the surface so now they scavenge the surface for more food. The behavior should stop in 1-2 months and they should be fine. Maybe a slightly increased risk of swim bladder, so it's not a bad idea to feed shelled and blanched peas 1-2x weekly, but I don't think it's anything to stress over
I'll be sure to feed them peas to decrease the risk. Thank you
 

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,095
Reaction score
3,481
Points
448
Experience
4 years
No problem, and it's really not a big worry IMO. My goldfish, granted a common one not a fancy, so already a decreased likely hood for swim bladder, but he's been doing that for almost a year and hasn't developed swim bladder. And that's with no ammonia and an air pump rated for a tank 2x the size. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep the water clean and all will be well
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom