Why Is My Oranda Gulping At The Surface?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Panda_Mo, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Panda_Mo

Panda_Mo New Member Member

Occasionally my goldfish will gulp at the surfsce of the water. Usually about 10 minutes after I feed he goes to the top and gulps for 1 - 2 minutes. I don't understand why he would be doing this because I pre-soak the pellets before I feed and they sink straight to the bottom. I highly doubt that it's from a lack of oxygen because I use a good quality air pump and I aim the canister outtake slightly up so it creates a lot of agitation. My other Oranda doesn't exhibit this behavior. I don't want my fish to develop swim bladder issues, so what can I do to prevent him from doing this?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

What is the ammonia at. Sometimes you will see this with ammonia poisoning or if ther'e other chemicals in your water.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank? Any tankmates? And I agree with checking the ammonia. By any chance did you feed floating pellets in the past?

4. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

The tank is 29g, only 2 small orandas one 4 months and the other 6 months. The ammonia is close to 0ppm. Now that I think of it, the pet store probably fed floating flakes but I've him for a little over a month.

5. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

I forgot to consider that he is a goldfish. Most likely, he was just looking for more food since you said it happens during feeding time.

6. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

Do you think if this continues he could develop swim bladder issues or do you think the habit will break by then?

7. Rtessy

It's probably just learned behavior from the flakes; they used to eat from the surface so now they scavenge the surface for more food. The behavior should stop in 1-2 months and they should be fine. Maybe a slightly increased risk of swim bladder, so it's not a bad idea to feed shelled and blanched peas 1-2x weekly, but I don't think it's anything to stress over

8. OP
    OP
    Panda_Mo

I'll be sure to feed them peas to decrease the risk. Thank you

9. Rtessy

No problem, and it's really not a big worry IMO. My goldfish, granted a common one not a fancy, so already a decreased likely hood for swim bladder, but he's been doing that for almost a year and hasn't developed swim bladder. And that's with no ammonia and an air pump rated for a tank 2x the size. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep the water clean and all will be well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice