Why is my new Java Fern Turning brown?

Chiasmodon
I bought a java fern last week, it was ok for a week then most of its leaves turned brown.. I did not plant it in a substrate or suffocate its rhizome with a superglue (I did not use superglue).. is this a normal way to adjust in a new environment? :( man, I saved a lot of bucks just to buy one.

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
I bought a java fern last week, it was ok for a week then most of its leaves turned brown.. I did not plant it in a substrate or suffocate its rhizome with a superglue (I did not use superglue).. is this a normal way to adjust in a new environment? :( man, I saved a lot of bucks just to buy one.
It will melt than re grow new leaves, i have never had much luck with java because the plants I use are house plants and totally rob out whatever nutrients the java needs but I went through this as well in the beginning and just kind of walked away from them all together, I have one small sliver piece left in my tank that has held on for the last 8 months but it is slowly getting smaller and smaller.
May I suggest a pothos plant or tomato plant with roots suspended above the tank, it looks just as pretty and filters the water column much more efficiently in my opinion.

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
It will melt than re grow new leaves, i have never had much luck with java because the plants I use are house plants and totally rob out whatever nutrients the java needs but I went through this as well in the beginning and just kind of walked away from them together, I have one small sliver piece left in my tank that has held on for the last 8 months but it is slowly getting smaller and smaller.
May I suggest a pothos plant or tomato plant with roots suspended above the tank, it looks just as pretty and filters the water column much more efficiently in my opinion.
I have 5 pothos and they are really big, I believe these plants consume a lot of nutrients including nitrates .. but eh.. my frog bits are growing and propagates really fast which means .my aquarium water still has enough nutrients. I really want to do a large aquascape project (well not for anyone but for me) with java fern, anubias and java moss.

I Just found small plants growing out from the dying leaves of my have fern.. ofc, they are baby java ferns, simple as that.. It looks like they stealing all or.. feeding on the nutrients of the parent leaf so I assume that's how their life works but dang it pushed the panic button.

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
I have 5 pothos and they are really big, I believe these plants consume a lot of nutrients including nitrates .. but eh.. my frog bits are growing and propagates really fast which means .my aquarium water still has enough nutrients. I really want to do a large aquascape project (well not for anyone but for me) with java fern, anubias and java moss.

I Just found small plants growing out from the dying leaves of my have fern.. ofc, they are baby java ferns, simple as that.. It looks like they stealing all or.. feeding on the nutrients of the parent leaf so I assume that's how their life works but dang it pushed the panic button.
You have to kind of let these things run that course...I've killed plants,fish more plants ....more fish :( to get to a somewhat stable ecosystem.
Remember any time you add or remove something you alter the tanks paramaters of sustainability
Wether it improves or regresses it's just a fine dance between getting what you want the tank to look like and what works.
I bought some jungle Vals and thought they would grow normal and they totally took the tank, almost killed my pothos and potato vines, I removed all of them but in one corner, and literally flooded my tank with pothos to quell the vals...
Keep at it,keep experimenting.

grac3
do you have pictures?

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
You have to kind of let these things run that course...I've killed plants,fish more plants ....more fish :( to get to a somewhat stable ecosystem.
Remember any time you add or remove something you alter the tanks paramaters of sustainability
Wether it improves or regresses it's just a fine dance between getting what you want the tank to look like and what works.
I bought some jungle Vals and thought they would grow normal and they totally took the tank, almost killed my pothos and potato vines, I removed all of them but in one corner, and literally flooded my tank with pothos to quell the vals...
Keep at it,keep experimenting.
aww, It is best to remove them then.. I have many root tabs so I think there is no big deal with my Val. Americana.. all the rest of my plants are growing so fast.. avoid a substrate without nutrition.. I changed my old substrate because.. eh.. It did not support any growth.. It killed a lot of my plants.

grac3 said:
do you have pictures?

IMG_20210510_115434.jpg

This leaf fell and I assume its half dead.. but it has3 baby java fern (it looks like small dots) so I let it stay in my tank..floating in a shed and monitor its growth.

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
aww, It is best to remove them then.. I have many root tabs so I think there is no big deal with my Val. Americana.. all the rest of my plants are growing so fast.. avoid a substrate without nutrition.. I changed my old substrate because.. eh.. It did not support any growth.. It killed a lot of my plants.

IMG_20210510_115434.jpg

This leaf fell and I assume its half dead.. but it has3 baby java fern (it looks like small dots) so I let it stay in my tank..floating in a shed and monitor its growth.
My tank is also outdoors which leads me to believe the full sun on the vals is what made them take off, I left the vals in the east end of the tank ve aure they dont get as much direct sun as the rest of the tank,they have pretty well stayed in that corner and have not spread.
My filter is 7ft long and riddled with plants more so now than before, my substrate is black diamond media blasting sand...totally inert in all regards so whatever nutrients along with the sun is what I think was getting them out of control, the tomato plants have made the biggest impact on the algae and Val growth, tanks been running a year or so with hard algae every other week building, added tomatos... algae stays soft enough to lightly scrape off, so me being me I added more tomato clippings to see if they root out and kill off the algae but let the vals in the east end live, in all honesty the only reason I didnt totally remove the vals is because my black ghost knife hunts the assassin snails in there and i need the snails gone so my apple snails stop getting killed :(

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
My tank is also outdoors which leads me to believe the full sun on the vals is what made them take off, I left the vals in the east end of the tank ve aure they dont get as much direct sun as the rest of the tank,they have pretty well stayed in that corner and have not spread.
My filter is 7ft long and riddled with plants more so now than before, my substrate is black diamond media blasting sand...totally inert in all regards so whatever nutrients along with the sun is what I think was getting them out of control, the tomato plants have made the biggest impact on the algae and Val growth, tanks been running a year or so with hard algae every other week building, added tomatos... algae stays soft enough to lightly scrape off, so me being me I added more tomato clippings to see if they root out and kill off the algae but let the vals in the east end live, in all honesty the only reason I didnt totally remove the vals is because my black ghost knife hunts the assassin snails in there and i need the snails gone so my apple snails stop getting killed :(
Put your tank inside your room and buy LED light.. This is also what happened to me when I was a 10 year old child, I put my tank outside, Algae took over, my Ageria densa was dominant in the tank. I also did another mistake when I started keeping fish again.. I did not buy the appropriate LED light.. I only bought 5 watts.. and ofc.. my plants did not grow well.. so I bought a new brighter one (20 watts).. now my aquarium is literally a jungle of hornwort, guppy grass, and frogbit which I need to trim regularly. so in the sum of all this.. put your tank inside..to avoid the overgrowth of algae and your Val that may take over the nutrients leading to the death of other plants in your tank

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
Put your tank inside your room and buy LED light.. This is also what happened to me when I was a 10 year old child, I put my tank outside, Algae took over, my Ageria densa was dominant in the tank. I also did another mistake when I started keeping fish again.. I did not buy the appropriate LED light.. I only bought 5 watts.. and ofc.. my plants did not grow well.. so I bought a new brighter one (20 watts).. now my aquarium is literally a jungle of hornwort, guppy grass, and frogbit which I need to trim regularly. so in the sum of all this.. put your tank inside..to avoid the overgrowth of algae and your Val that may take over the nutrients leading to the death of other plants in your tank
My tank is 135 gallons amd is basically the center piece of the back yard, I live in southern california so I'm tropical climate, I have lights but only used for night time viewing, this is essentially an enclosed koi pond of all things, my pothos stocks are well at 3/4 of an inch in diameter and my tomato plant is already over 3 feet tall after only a week in the tank.
If I moved it inside the pothos would immediately perish as they ha e already been accustomed to full sun and even flower...which I bet you were not aware even happened, I have spent 100s of hours in research on growing aquaponics and outdoor pond keeping and now know pretty well exactly what I am doing. Go big or go home is my stance on this, I am the only person I know of on this forum with a tank is intricate or involved as my own.
I spent the last year on this tank dialing it down to a science against nature and nurture of the plants and fish. My fishes growth over being outdoors has far surpassed my indoor 55 gallon tanks growth rate and I am very proud of how this tank is turning out, it is a constant babysit and I would not have it any other way.
Chiasmodon said:
I'll just throw this inside real quick....lol,not!

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
My tank is 135 gallons amd is basically the center piece of the back yard, I live in southern california so I'm tropical climate, I have lights but only used for night time viewing, this is essentially an enclosed koi pond of all things, my pothos stocks are well at 3/4 of an inch in diameter and my tomato plant is already over 3 feet tall after only a week in the tank.
If I moved it inside the pothos would immediately perish as they ha e already been accustomed to full sun and even flower...which I bet you were not aware even happened, I have spent 100s of hours in research on growing aquaponics and outdoor pond keeping and now know pretty well exactly what I am doing. Go big or go home is my stance on this, I am the only person I know of on this forum with a tank is intricate or involved as my own.
I spent the last year on this tank dialing it down to a science against nature and nurture of the plants and fish. My fishes growth over being outdoors has far surpassed my indoor 55 gallon tanks growth rate and I am very proud of how this tank is turning out, it is a constant babysit and I would not have it any other way.

I'll just throw this inside real quick....lol,not!
I see.. its really big compared to mine, I thought It was like 10 to 40 gallons.. my bad.. I think you need to post this to another thread so some experts could help you, Im not good with bigger tanks and ponds and a lot of stuff. :( sorry if I wasted your time, I was trying to help but I was not aware that you are more experienced than me.

I'm also doing a lot of reading about articles at the moment to learn more about how to keep plants in my tank safe.

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
I see.. its really big compared to mine, I thought It was like 10 to 40 gallons.. my bad.. I think you need to post this to another thread so some experts could help you, Im not good with bigger tanks and ponds and a lot of stuff. :( sorry if I wasted your time, I was trying to help but I was not aware that you are more experienced than me.

I'm also doing a lot of reading about articles at the moment to learn more about how to keep plants in my tank safe.
No no no way at all was I offended or trying to pull clout on this at all, all of us on this thread a just putting together compilations of our knowledge, I am here to help you as other more experienced keepers are here to help me, I would not have been able to do this tank without the fishlore communtiy.
I went off the rails with this tank because in all honesty I wanted to catch that joey ureauy guys attention on youtube and then it turned into a whole other animal of what have I done, I've had to back peddle several times on this tank, re think and re do A LOT! , it is a constant learning curve and stressful at times but also a stress reliever at the end of every Sunday after I do my little things I kind of sit there and say "wow" I can keep fish alive outside and grow wicked plants.
I've had to tear into this thing and leave it be all at once, I've had the filter overflow,ive had it plug,ive had too fast a flow and not enough.
It's a fine dance especially when lives are at stake, this tank has already crashed out with ich, killed all my bala sharks after it first cycled,vals have killed rope fish,Oscar's and plecos, it's a constant fight but I am now at the point I can start to enjoy it.
This video doesnt show what I have done as of late, I covered the media box with Garland vines and roses(fake plants) to pretty it up, the filter flows well now, my water turn over rate I have clocked at a true 400 gallons per hour, granted if you look I have three different filter boxes, I am doing too much on my own, my wife and parents do not understand how I pulled this off at all.
Videos and pictures do this tank no justice what so ever.
When friends and family come over they immediately go outback and sit down In a gasp.
Go look at the videos on youtube.
Follow if you want my name is Patrick Akers so you can find me, watch how it has progressed through these stages and take what you can from it to use for yourself, i am here to help you as we all are here to help one another.

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
No no no way at all was I offended or trying to pull clout on this at all, all of us on this thread a just putting together compilations of our knowledge, I am here to help you as other more experienced keepers are here to help me, I would not have been able to do this tank without the fishlore communtiy.
I went off the rails with this tank because in all honesty I wanted to catch that joey ureauy guys attention on youtube and then it turned into a whole other animal of what have I done, I've had to back peddle several times on this tank, re think and re do A LOT! , it is a constant learning curve and stressful at times but also a stress reliever at the end of every Sunday after I do my little things I kind of sit there and say "wow" I can keep fish alive outside and grow wicked plants.
I've had to tear into this thing and leave it be all at once, I've had the filter overflow,ive had it plug,ive had too fast a flow and not enough.
It's a fine dance especially when lives are at stake, this tank has already crashed out with ich, killed all my bala sharks after it first cycled,vals have killed rope fish,Oscar's and plecos, it's a constant fight but I am now at the point I can start to enjoy it.
This video doesnt show what I have done as of late, I covered the media box with Garland vines and roses(fake plants) to pretty it up, the filter flows well now, my water turn over rate I have clocked at a true 400 gallons per hour, granted if you look I have three different filter boxes, I am doing too much on my own, my wife and parents do not understand how I pulled this off at all.
Videos and pictures do this tank no justice what so ever.
When friends and family come over they immediately go outback and sit down In a gasp.
Go look at the videos on youtube.
Follow if you want my name is Patrick Akers so you can find me, watch how it has progressed through these stages and take what you can from it to use for yourself, i am here to help you as we all are here to help one another.
Ok then, that's a big story you can share, it's amazing! I wish I had a larger tank like yours, but my father did not let me have it.. now my tank is so tall (2 ft) but its width is only 14 inches..and its length is 3 ft, This is so regretful. I think I will be saving more to buy a 100 gallon someday.

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
Ok then, that's a big story you can share, it's amazing! I wish I had a larger tank like yours, but my father did not let me have it.. now my tank is so tall (2 ft) but its width is only 14 inches..and its length is 3 ft, This is so regretful. I think I will be saving more to buy a 100 gallon someday.
I went from a 5 gallon betta box for my daughter..to a 29 gallon bow front, to my 55 gallon I still have to my 135 gallon.
Believe it or not my 55 gallon has 6 rainbow sharks in it,whom are not suppose to live together.
But when you read and read and read and decide on 1 common male and 5 albino females you ha e a semi aggresive tank that is very active.
I have caves galore in that tank with plenty of small hiding hole nooks for all,
6 rainbow sharks.
6 blue claw crabs
1 lonely rasbora(as big as a tetra now)
8 white skirt tetras
5 black skirt tetras
Take what you can as far as information and use it to your will,then alter it,then figure out the mistakes,alter again ...play with it a little more
Then enjoy it.

Chiasmodon
xD
Patman0519 said:
I went from a 5 gallon betta box for my daughter..to a 29 gallon bow front, to my 55 gallon I still have to my 135 gallon.
Believe it or not my 55 gallon has 6 rainbow sharks in it,whom are not suppose to live together.
But when you read and read and read and decide on 1 common male and 5 albino females you ha e a semi aggresive tank that is very active.
I have caves galore in that tank with plenty of small hiding hole nooks for all,
6 rainbow sharks.
6 blue claw crabs
1 lonely rasbora(as big as a tetra now)
8 white skirt tetras
5 black skirt tetras
Take what you can as far as information and use it to your will,then alter it,then figure out the mistakes,alter again ...play with it a little more
Then enjoy it.
I went from 5 gallons, 10 gallons, 15 gallons to 52 gallons.

I remember keeping 50 fish in my 25 gallons.. .and was not aware that they were aggressive to one another (red tail, betta, black skirt, Jewel cichlid,) .. ofc the outcome is really bad.. I stopped keeping fish when I was a kid because of this.. I thought I was wasting a lot of money because Im not even reading anything about fish and plants to learn.

Now, I'm reading a lot about plants and fish I keep seeing if they thrive the temperature here in my country .. it's really hot here. of course, I'm also reading about appropriate water parameters.

anyways, about my java fern.. I found that small plantlets grow from old and half-dead leaves.. so I assume they'll be fine.[/QUOTE]

Patman0519
Chiasmodon said:
xD

I went from 5 gallons, 10 gallons, 15 gallons to 52 gallons.

I remember keeping 50 fish in my 25 gallons.. .and was not aware that they were aggressive to one another (red tail, betta, black skirt, Jewel cichlid,) .. ofc the outcome is really bad.. I stopped keeping fish when I was a kid because of this.. I thought I was wasting a lot of money because Im not even reading anything about fish and plants to learn.

Now, I'm reading a lot about plants and fish I keep seeing if they thrive the temperature here in my country .. it's really hot here. of course, I'm also reading about appropriate water parameters.

anyways, about my java fern.. I found that small plantlets grow from old and half-dead leaves.. so I assume they'll be fine.
[/QUOTE]
I read for you a bit last night on the fern as well and found the same, apparently root tabs will help them but I have never used or tried to think about ferts for plants in fear of me over dosing and killing fish..

Freshfishguy
Chiasmodon said:
Do you use any fertilizer? Plants cannot thrive without ferts. Some plants like Java fern, crypts, and Anubias can do pretty well without ferts in the right tank with the right stocking and parameters out of the tap, but they will not thrive. Your water may be lacking a bit in some nutrients. Pretty much every aquarium plant fertilizer is shrimp and fish safe so there is no risk to the livestock with overdosing.

Chiasmodon
Patman0519 said:
I read for you a bit last night on the fern as well and found the same, apparently root tabs will help them but I have never used or tried to think about ferts for plants in fear of me over dosing and killing fish..
Where did you read about "root tabs can be used to java fern"? I wasn't so sure about using root tabs though, since java fern doesn't grow in the substrate and feed most from the water. but that does not mean I am 100% right, that's just what I found in the internet and I need further clarification about it. can you give me the source? or reference site about using root tabs to java fern?

my substrate has like 10 osmocote tabs and did not cause any trouble to my fish and my inverts.
Freshfishguy said:
Do you use any fertilizer? Plants cannot thrive without ferts. Some plants like Java fern, crypts, and Anubias can do pretty well without ferts in the right tank with the right stocking and parameters out of the tap, but they will not thrive. Your water may be lacking a bit in some nutrients. Pretty much every aquarium plant fertilizer is shrimp and fish safe so there is no risk for overdosing.
Nope, I dont have fertilizer for non-root feeders. as Patman0519 said, root tabs can be used.. but I am not sure about that.. is it true we can use it? I have osmocote at the moment.

Latest threads

Top Bottom