Why is my nerite snail positioned like this?

Tanknewbie

Hi guys, I joined this forum because I couldn’t find anything like my snail’s current condition..

Some background info: I just started my aquarium last week. Put in some aquarium salt, nitrofying bioculture tank starter, pH increaser in conditioned tap water (not in that order).

Yesterday my snail was OK, not great because he hasn’t really come out of his shell lately. But today I saw his shell wad weirdly positioned, and when I tried to turn him back, it just positioned back to that awkward shape? Also, he does smell a little, but while I thought it was dead, I did see the shell twirling around a bit.
It’s also a bit dirty around the trapdoor (like black stuff?) and I don’t know what’s causing this. Pls help!

Sorry if its a bit long and confusing, again I’m new and ready for some criticism/advice. TIA!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 32

Salem

Shells usually go into those positions when there is air trapped inside. If he is smelling unfortunately that usually means he has passed. If that is the case he is producing ammonia which would actually be helping cycle your tank. If there is nothing else in the tank you can leave him in there assuming he's no longer alive.
If he is alive you'll want to check the parameters- specifically ammonia. If it is above 1 you'll want to do a water change to get it to around 0.25-0.5

Upvote 0

Tanknewbie

Unfortunately, I think he has passed. I think the body shrunk because when I pressed on the trapdoor a little, it pushed in. Also the foul smell has gotten worse. My aquarium currently only has three ghost shrimp now, so I think I’m going to get rid of the dead nerite:( Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
mlydeen
Replies
Views
Valleriani