Why is my mystery snail floating?

Mar1111

I have a blue mystery snail that's less than half full grown. Today it spent the whole day floating on the water, and kept getting caught in the water from the HOB filter and getting tossed around. It's alive, was all stretched out at times. I took it out and put it in a small plastic container with 1/4" of water and floated it - since it floated above water level, I could close the lid and hold it in place. It latched onto the bowl, so I added a little more water, then more, and it has been climbing all over. So I took it out and put it back in the tank and it went right back to floating. So as of now, it will be spending the night in the bowl. Does it have an air bubble trapped in its shell to make it buoyant? Is there anything I can do for it?

jake37

Mine do that sometime for various reason. Btw they frequently come up for air; they fill their shells and then go back down. Eventually they come back up. Maybe that one sucked in too much air? Eventually he will figure it out and sink again (assuming he is actually alive).

Mar1111

jake37 said:
Mine do that sometime for various reason. Btw they frequently come up for air; they fill their shells and then go back down. Eventually they come back up. Maybe that one sucked in too much air? Eventually he will figure it out and sink again (assuming he is actually alive).
Thanks, and he was very alive as he was climbing the sides of the bowl. This morning when I got up, the bowl had taken in more water and was floating around the filter outtake ... and empty. Found the little guy on the bottom happy gnawing on some zucchini - glad to see he was okay. I've actually seen a few floating since I've had snails, but never all day long, and when I'd give them a nudge, they'd float to the bottom. Not this one! I just lost a small magenta this week that was my favorite, so pretty; I don't know why. I have many snails in 4 tanks and rarely lose one. And sometimes I don't know I've lost one til I'm cleaning a tank and find a shell all cleaned out by shrimp.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom