Why is my male johanni holding eggs?

Eddiehaggs

A few days ago I witnessed my 2 male johanni spawning. I just figured they were confused. Now I noticed today that the smaller male was holding. I can actually see the eggs in his mouth. Can anyone explain what's going on?

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_193637003.jpg
    IMG_20220119_193637003.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13

Demeter

Are you sure they are both johanni cichlids? Obviously the one is in fact female so I would bet she is probably another species if not a mutt. There are several similar species and mutts can frequently be found in stores. Can you take clear side photos of both parents so we can check their ID?

chromedome52

Fish in that photo is neither male nor johanni. As noted, there are a few very similar species that commonly interbreed.

Eddiehaggs

Wow. Thought they were male johanni. I got them about a year ago from Amazon, they were all 2" long. 5 sets of 3 like colored fish. I just tried identifying them myself. The first photo is a picture of the male. I thought they all were male but he was just dominant. 2nd is of what I now believe is female. I have a community tank, and from what I've seen they can cross breed and I've also heard it is frowned upon. I don't plan on selling them, just for my own enjoyment. I know I have a few fish that are going to out grow this tank. I plan on getting them their own 75 gal tank. If you can help me identify the suspected johanni that would be great. I'm definitely new to this and sort of learning as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_20220120_210450356.jpg
    IMG_20220120_210450356.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220120_212734669.jpg
    IMG_20220120_212734669.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220120_213245013.jpg
    IMG_20220120_213245013.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 11

chromedome52

It is most likely a strain known as "Electric Blue Johanni", which is a hybrid of johanni with Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos. Could also be pure cyaneorhabdos if they stay under 3 inches.

True johanni females are yellow and lack the stripes. It is so rare to see them these days that many hobbyists aren't even aware of what they look like.

Eddiehaggs

It is most likely a strain known as "Electric Blue Johanni", which is a hybrid of johanni with Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos. Could also be pure cyaneorhabdos if they stay under 3 inches.

True johanni females are yellow and lack the stripes. It is so rare to see them these days that many hobbyists aren't even aware of what they look like.
He's over 3 inches now. I'd say 4 inches now.

I believe I figured it out. They're crystal blue maingano. The female's are light blue and fins aren't so flowing. I just assumed that they were johanni when I tried to identify them.

chromedome52

Maingano is another common name for cyaneorhabdos. With a name like "crystal blue maingano", it's just another hybrid, basically the same as "electric blue johanni".

Eddiehaggs

Thanks. I thought they looked **** near identical. I've heard tale that cichlids can change sex and I thought it happened. As far as the hybrids go, I have some yellow labs that I'm not sure are full blooded. I knew about some hybrids like the blood parrot, o.b peacock and so on. I didn't know there were so many out there. I see the different names and just figured some people call them different things.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Fullofit343
Replies