Why is my java fern turning white?

Shadestream

I have a 5 gal tank that has been cycling for a while and one of my first live plants in there was a java fern. It has been doing very well until about a week ago when I noticed some white spots on it. I cleaned the tank and added flourish and prime as well as making sure to remember to ghost feed. A couple days later I noticed that the whole leaf was almost completely white! I see it starting on 2 other leaves and what confuses me most is that all my other plants look fine (anubius, java moss, lucky bamboo). Does anybody know what's going on?

ruud

Good quality pictures really help.

In general, java ferns are slow growers; things might look good for a while before problems start to appear for the human eye.

My first thought is mold; especially if water movement around the fern is limited.

Are new small leaves, close to the rhizome, visible?

Regarding flourish...do you have fish?

Shadestream

Good quality pictures really help.

In general, java ferns are slow growers; things might look good for a while before problems start to appear for the human eye.

My first thought is mold; especially if water movement around the fern is limited.

Are new small leaves, close to the rhizome, visible?

Regarding flourish...do you have fish
Thank you for the response, I can can add a picture of the java fern but I'm not sure that it's mold. It looks like it's just fading in color and not like something is growing on them. As for the water movement, I have a sponge filter but it's on the other side of the tank and I don't have a fish in the tank yet but I should be getting one later this month. There are at least 5 new leaves near the rhizome visible right now and they grew very rapidly but they have seemed to slow down/stop growing for the past 2 or so weeks which is slightly concerning.

20220101_140228.jpg

ruud

Ah, yes, a case of melting. Your fern is simply investing in new leaves at the expense of old ones.

Water movement close to the fern is beneficial; but this holds for all plants. For sake of gas exchange and nutrients and also to ensure the leaves remain clean.

I believe Flourish lacks nitrates and phosphates...to prevent algae I red somewhere. This is ridiculous. Plants need these nutrients; fish, however, could take care of this. So does decomposing plant matter.

Ferns seem to appreciate "some extra" potassium also; I actually have a bottle of K for my fern dominated tanks and release some once a week. But no need to rush. Nitrates and phosphates first.

In any case, don't worry too much regarding slow growth. I have my ferns in unheated, very dimly lit tanks. Time stands still in those tanks, but leaves are still green and that's what matters most (at least, to me).

Shadestream

Ah, yes, a case of melting. Your fern is simply investing in new leaves at the expense of old ones.

Water movement close to the fern is beneficial; but this holds for all plants. For sake of gas exchange and nutrients and also to ensure the leaves remain clean.

I believe Flourish lacks nitrates and phosphates...to prevent algae I red somewhere. This is ridiculous. Plants need these nutrients; fish, however, could take care of this. So does decomposing plant matter.

Ferns seem to appreciate "some extra" potassium also; I actually have a bottle of K for my fern dominated tanks and release some once a week. But no need to rush. Nitrates and phosphates first.

In any case, don't worry too much regarding slow growth. I have my ferns in unheated, very dimly lit tanks. Time stands still in those tanks, but leaves are still green and that's what matters most (at least, to me).
I consulted a good friend on the matter and she took one look at my filter and said "turn that thing up!" I have a sponge filter on the other side of tank so I hope turning it up will help a bit. I have also heard that flourish wasn't the best option but that flourish advanced was a lot better. What I did forget to mention though is that I do indeed use flourish advanced. On that note I should also mention that I added a seashell to the tank a couple days ago in hopes to raise potassium and calcium. I have still been ghost feeding to make up for some of the nutrients from the fish. I do have the java fern in a heated tank though, and I agree with the fact that green leaves matter the most. Thank you for the help and if there's anything I should change please let me know. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
henleyaquariums
  • Question
Replies
Views
smalli
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishPlanet