Why is my hygrophila polysperma turning red under high light

Aqua Hero

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At first my hygrophila polysperma had curling leaves alongside the newer leaves turning red.

I was able to fix the curling leaves but the newer leaves that are closer to the light are turning red. I know there is a hygrophila sp that turns red cause of high light but I'm not sure that is my one.

If it is a deficiency could some please tell me what it could be. I have tried looking at plant deficiency articles but none have helped.

Sent from my D2303 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attachments

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did a Google search on hygrphila polysperma and most of the pictures have the reddish leaves on top. ..also most of the Web search s do too. (I've never seen this plant here so I don't actually know anything about it). I would think it's normal personally.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alot of plants are known to get reds and browns near the tips, more so if the light output is high. The newest growth closer to the light is growing better and faster, so there's a concentration of iron in that area as the new growth is where the plant is sending most of its resources. In short, its perfectly normal, and actually a good sign that your plant is happy.

OP
Aqua Hero

Aqua Hero

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
oh wow I had no idea lol and here I am cutting the red parts off because I thought they were dying

New Threads