Why is my fish in the corner?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Charliie, Aug 1, 2015.

1. C

Charliie New Member Member

I recently noticed that my Red Swordtail (Xig) Molly has been staying in the corner. At first I thought it was dead because it stayed so still but after looking at it longer, it was still alive.

I recently but rocks in the tank that I have already sterilized specifically for the tank.

There is also an Albino Algae Eater, Seymour is it's name (which is slightly smaller than the Molly). I noticed after the rocks, it has become more aggressive and territorial.

It's odd because when I first introduced them into the water, the Molly would mess with Seymour. After the rocks, however, Seymour because more aggressive.

The pet shop I bought them from said they were community fishes.

I just want to know why my Molly is staying so still in the corner? And why is Seymour becoming aggressive?

Please help anyone!

2. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Perhaps you could use some plants or wood at the mid to upper level to allow your molly to feel more secure.
    It sounds like the rocks have suited the algae eater (SAE?) to a degree where he is comfortable enough to express territoriality, so do likewise for the molly.
    Of course, if you mistook him for being dead, he could be ill, but the only symptom that you describe sounds more like he is intimidated..
    Have any other fish been effected? rick

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  3. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Also what size is your tank and other than the rocks what is your other décor?

4. K

Kimberly4403 Well Known Member Member

Depends on your algea eater if its a chinese algea eater from what ive read they do become very aggressive..SAEs or siamese algea eaters are peaceful community fish...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not a SAE, they don't come in Albino. OP, can you take a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Well technically any animal can be an albino, not to be too picky.
    im wondering, since alot of people need specific marks if it could be like a flying fox or something.

could u putup a pic?

7. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

It sounds as though your molly is timid and needs you to provide hiding places. My guess is that since you've added the rocks Seymour has been acting territorial, and the molly would probably act the same if you would provide needed hiding places. Although, as another member mentioned, if you mistook the molly for dead, then the fish could be sick. Pictures and more information regarding the tank would be helpful. :)

8. OP
    OP
    C

I added some floating plants recently and the root drags down to the mid section. It is a 10g I believe. I only have the two fishes.

The Molly seems to be a little more active but still continues "flee" because the algae eater comes after it. But I noticed a change in behavior, once in a while I see the molly coming after the algae eater.

Should I separate them? Should I be concerned? I'm not sure how to add a photo to the thread.

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

10. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Your original post referred to a "Red Swordtail Molly". It has to be either one or the other, Red Swordtail or Molly. If it's a Red Swordtail it would explain the aggressiveness. You will have to separate the two fish, or add a few more so that there isn't just one target for either of them. And even that would only be temporary.

A 10 gallon tank will not be big enough for either fish long term. The swordtail is an active swimmer that needs 36" of length for his activity level. The CAE gets over 7 inches long, and more aggressive as it grows. Generally they end up killing any smaller fish kept with them.

11. f

fishfisher Valued Member Member

More for future reference. ... but when I had just one molly in the tank with other fish, she got so aggressive that I had to take her out... but it gave me an excuse to get another tank. :D

What are your water perimeters?

Everything I've read about mollies is that they need at least a 20 g because they are so active and reach 4in plus and sailfin mollies get even bigger. Also, they probably should be in groups of 3 or more with other fish. While they're not schooling fish they seem to like the company. My molly started getting aggressive when the two others died.
    ****Don't think that keeping the molly alone with the fish you have will solve the aggression issues.:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Sorry ::with other mollies:: guppies or platys may be company enough but make sure that you have all one sex otherwise you'll very soon have an overcrowded tank or lots of live fish food for bigger fish. Plus potential other problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Imo, a molly needs a 30 gallon or bigger. A 20g, ime, isn't enough.
    Make sure the 30g isn't a 29, which only has the same dimensions of a 20 gal long.....so not enough. A 30g long is 3 feet long. If you can't find that then get a 40 gallon.

13. f

fishfisher Valued Member Member

Honestly I wish I had gotten a 40+ g. So many more choices of fish opens up. It seems daunting but you are able to get the fish you want and won't be looking to up grade in a year or so like I am. So in the end it's actually cheaper.

14. Rogue

Rogue Valued Member Member

lol. In that case, why not get a 55? :D

15. Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

It might be lonely... And timid without others of it's own kind?

16. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

That's clearly not the case here. Mollies are not schooling fish and need a much bigger tank space than the OP currently has.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

17. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think the OP has a molly. I believe he has a Red Swordtail, which needs more room than a Molly anyway.

18. OP
    OP
    C

I had to separate them as I caught the algae eater sucking away at the red swordtail. Now I'm not sure what to do with the algae eater. It has become too aggressive, I will be adding snails instead as a better environment for the red swordtail.

The algae eater is not a SAE. I will be upgrading to a bigger tank in a couple of weeks, for more room for the red swordtail.

Any suggestions for healing treatment???

19. m

marytsharp Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forum!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice