Why Is My Firemouth Cichlid So White With A Little Orange?

Ben E
I have a firemouth cichlid in a 29 gallon tank but he is a loner and has been for a couple years now. When I first got him in march of 2016 he was grey-ish with black stripes but is white with orange. I believe he has lost his color due to lack of mates or males to show dominance but I am not sure. I feed him different things and his tank in check with the correct water parameters. Thanks again. And I am interested in what everyone says.

Momgoose56
I have a firemouth cichlid in a 29 gallon tank but he is a loner and has been for a couple years now. When I first got him in march of 2016 he was grey-ish with black stripes but is white with orange. I believe he has lost his color due to lack of mates or males to show dominance but I am not sure. I feed him different things and his tank in check with the correct water parameters. Thanks again. And I am interested in what everyone says.
Picture?

Ben E
Here you go

I think that it could be the lighter colored gravel as well

Attachments

• IMG_6724.PNG
    IMG_6724.PNG
    488.4 KB · Views: 164
yukondog
Definitely not a firemouth.

Ben E
Definitely not a firemouth.
What would you say it then?

I
That’s not a firemouth. Red devil or Midas maybe?
think it could be a red devil now that I see pictures.

Nikki2577
What would you say it then?

I

think it could be a red devil now that I see pictures.

Yes I was leaning towards that. I would also get him in a bigger tank. How are your water parameters?

Ben E
Yes I was leaning towards that. I would also get him in a bigger tank. How are your water parameters?
The temperature is a higher now that I realize he is a red devil but there is no ammonia or anything harmful

Nikki2577
The temperature is a higher now that I realize he is a red devil but there is no ammonia or anything harmful

How big is he and what are your nitrates? Oh I would definitely not put and other fish in with it unless he is in a bigger tank. They can be quite mean. I hope the higher temps help him out

Ben E
He is quite large and there are no nitrates last time I checked.
How big is he and what are your nitrates? Oh I would definitely not put and other fish in with it unless he is in a bigger tank. They can be quite mean. I hope the higher temps help him out

Nikki2577
He is quite large and there are no nitrates last time I checked.

Mmmmmm no nitrates? Is your tank cycled? With a big fish like that I can’t see having 0 nitrates. He really needs a bigger tank to be happy. They are cool fish I hope he perks up.

Ben E
Mmmmmm no nitrates? Is your tank cycled? With a big fish like that I can’t see having 0 nitrates. He really needs a bigger tank to be happy. They are cool fish I hope he perks up.
He seems to be happy but I can check the nitrates again but I believe it has been cycled.

Momgoose56
He seems to be happy but I can check the nitrates again but I believe it has been cycled.
Get a liquid test kit like the API Master test kit and check pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Ben E
Get a liquid test kit like the API Master test kit and check pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
I tested the nitrates this morning and said they were zero or very minimal

Nikki2577
I tested the nitrates this morning and said they were zero or very minimal

Do you have a test kit? Like to get the readings for ammonia and nitrite just to make sure all is ok?

Ben E
Do you have a test kit? Like to get the readings for ammonia and nitrite just to make sure all is ok?
Yes I do, what do I do if it has no nitrates?

Nikki2577

Well usually that means it’s not cycled. I can’t remember how long you have had the tank up and running but it’s been quite awhile right?

They do change color but I am really concerned with the tank size. He could be pale from all kinds of things but the water should test at ammonia-0, nitrites-0, and some nitrates. With a fish that big in a tank that small it is really weird to have very low or no nitrates unless you do a ton of water changes or have a heavily planted tank.

Momgoose56
If you have no nitrates your tank is probably NOT cycled. We can't tell you what you could do next unless we know what your pH, ammonia & nitrite levels are. If you don't have a test kit, you can take a cup of your water to a local fish store like Petco or Petsmart and have THEM test it and give you the numbers. Once you post those numbers, we can help you do what you need to do to make your Devil's tank healthier and safer for him. Good water will make him color up more by making him feel better. In any case, you need to post those numbers-pH, ammonia and nitrites-if you want a real answer and not just a bunch of guesses.

Ben E
Well usually that means it’s not cycled. I can’t remember how long you have had the tank up and running but it’s been quite awhile right?
Yes is had been a while

If you have no nitrates your tank is probably NOT cycled. We can't tell you what you could do next unless we know what your pH, ammonia & nitrite levels are. If you don't have a test kit, you can take a cup of your water to a local fish store like Petco or Petsmart and have THEM test it and give you the numbers. Once you post those numbers, we can help you do what you need to do to make your Devil's tank healthier and safer for him. Good water will make him color up more by making him feel better. In any case, you need to post those numbers-pH, ammonia and nitrites-if you want a real answer and not just a bunch of guesses.
I tested my tank with the API test kit and according to the test it read that the PH was 8, the ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, and the nitrate was around 0-3

They do change color but I am really concerned with the tank size. He could be pale from all kinds of things but the water should test at ammonia-0, nitrites-0, and some nitrates. With a fish that big in a tank that small it is really weird to have very low or no nitrates unless you do a ton of water changes or have a heavily planted tank.
I tested it and it did come back with 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites, and some nitrates

Momgoose56
I tested my tank with the API test kit and according to the test it read that the PH was 8, the ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, and the nitrate was around 0-3

I tested it and it did come back with 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrites, and some nitrates
0-3???

Nikki2577

Maybe a little lower than 5ppm?? 5 is the lowest number on the chart right? I can’t remember I don’t have it in front of me. I still think something is going on with the water. That’s a big fish in a small tank.

Ben E
it looked to be a little darker than 0 but a little lighter than 5

Maybe a little lower than 5ppm?? 5 is the lowest number on the chart right? I can’t remember I don’t have it in front of me. I still think something is going on with the water. That’s a big fish in a small tank.
but yes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MotoXer450
Replies
Views
CarterHeath
Replies
Views
pappasfish
Replies