Why Is My Filter Noisy After Water Changes?

Fish-keeper
Hello fellow fish keepers,

So I have just done a 5o percent water change on my aqurium as I am going away for 2 weeks on holiday. I usually do a 15-20 percent water change once every two weeks and every so often I choice to do it once a week (I am considering doing it once a week but need to research further).When I do it I turn of my heater my air pump and my filter, but when I turn everything back on the filter is really noisy and it sounds as if something is stuck in it, is this normal or is something wrong with it?

My tank

Tank: 25L Ciano 30 aquarium
Filter: Ciano CF40
Heater: Interpet

Also should I increase my water changes to once a week?

JoeCamaro
Does the noise stop after the filter runs for a minute or so? Or does it remains noisy for long periods of time?

Mine, an Aqueon QuietFlow 50 gets louder when I start it up until it fills up completely, then it goes back to the normal noise level.

toeknee
Does it only do it for a bit and then return to normal? My hang on back filters take a minute or two to get back to full operation after a large water change and can make some noises during this time.

Fish-keeper
Does the noise stop after the filter runs for a minute or so? Or does it remains noisy for long periods of time?

Mine, an Aqueon QuietFlow 50 gets louder when I start it up until it fills up completely, then it goes back to the normal noise level.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, it takes about and hour for it to go back to its normal very quite self.

toeknee
Oh and yes, 25% water changes once a week will be good. I personally do about 40% once a week.

Fish-keeper
Oh and yes, 25% water changes once a week will be good. I personally do about 40% once a week.

Thank you, I will start to do it once a week now. Also one more question so I filled up my tank and there needed to be just a little bit more water added as it was so small of an amount do I really need to add tap safe.

JoeCamaro
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, it takes about and hour for it to go back to its normal very quite self.
Oh, that seems like a lot. Have you checked reviews on Amazon? Maybe people have the same thing going on with theirs. It could be "normal" or maybe it is just your filter going bad.

Fish-keeper
Oh, that seems like a lot. Have you checked reviews on Amazon? Maybe people have the same thing going on with theirs. It could be "normal" or maybe it is just your filter going bad.

I will have a look at the reviews but when it is functioning normally it is very quite.

JoeCamaro
Thank you, I will start to do it once a week now. Also one more question so I filled up my tank and there needed to be just a little bit more water added as it was so small of an amount do I really need to add tap safe.
I would add it. Just add a little bit, not a full dose for a full bucket maybe.

Fish-keeper

There is nothing on amazon saying that it is noisy I might upgrade what would you recommend for a 25L tank?

toeknee
After a water change are you pouring some tank water back into the filter? If not, do that next time as a lot of filters need you to pour water in them to get them going again after they're turned off then back on. And you need to add some sort of dechlorinator every time you add any amount of water to your tank. Seachem Prime is regarded as the best and what most people use. It lasts a long time and goes a long ways.

JoeCamaro
If the filter is working good, besides being noisy for an hour after a water change, I would keep it.
One hour of nose a week is not terrible, no?

I have only worked with Aqueon, so I can only attest to that brand. Works for me.

Fish-keeper
Is 200L/H a good water turnover rate as that is what my filter does.

bgclarke
Is 200L/H a good water turnover rate as that is what my filter does.
200L/H is a good rate for that size tank.
Recommended turnover rate is 8 to 10 times the size of the aquarium (200 to 250 L/H).

Interesting that it's noisy when restarted, since it's an internal filter.

Jenoli42

yes. you need to add tap safe water conditioner with all tap water off you get your tap water from a central treated water source.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Xxtaterxx2010
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
Replies