Why Is My Blue Velvet Shrimp Completely Clear?

Cole23

Reactions
I have a fairly new tank, it finished cycling at the end of June and I added male guppies, mystery snails and amano shrimp. About two weeks later I added some blue velvet shrimp they all arrived alive, healthy, and a very deep blue color, but some of them were extremely small. After about a month I’m down to two blue velvet shrimp, I’m assuming the other very small ones were eaten by the guppies. So tonight my wife tells me she sees a small clear shrimp in the tank. I know this shrimp is a blue velvet because my amano shrimp are probably 5 times bigger than my blue velvets. But does anyone know why it’s completely clear? It doesn’t have even a hint of blue on it. My water parameters are completely normal, I do 50% or more water changes every week, I feed my shrimp plenty so why is this shrimp clear? It hasn’t been hiding, I can’t find a molt that size in my tank, and it seems active and healthy. If it would have arrived clear I wouldn’t have been concerned but as all my blue velvets arrived deep blue and now I have one that is completely clear. Also the other two blue velvets are still blue. Any info on this would be appreciated, thanks! Here’s some pictures of the clear blue velvet shrimp. The last picture is a picture of one of my large Amanos next to the clear blue velvet.

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
how long has she been like that? You may notice sometimes shrimp will change color at night, adopting a clearer or darker color, than change back in the morning. Give her 24 hours, maybe she will change back. However, color changing is a sign of stress. She may be doing it to adjust to her surroundings, if the other shrimp disappeared it sounds like this is not an ideal environment for them. What are your parameters? How did you acclimate? Is the tank heavily planted? Is the tank brand new or has it been established for a long time? How many guppies are in it and how big is the tank? It’s really not ideal to keep fish with blue velvet shrimp. Unlike Amanos, which are larger, faster, and more competitive, blue velvets are much smaller and slower. If the guppies pick on them this will cause major stress and you will find that they will hide a lot. You should consider setting up a separate tank for them. If the guppies don’t eat them, the stress of them may shorten the lifespan of the blue velvet shrimp or cause them to die outright.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
2 reasons I can think of. They usually don't color up until around 1/2 an inch or a little smaller, so it still might be too young. Or, more likely, it is a cull.

OP
C

Cole23

Reactions
Crimson_687 said:
how long has she been like that? You may notice sometimes shrimp will change color at night, adopting a clearer or darker color, than change back in the morning. Give her 24 hours, maybe she will change back. However, color changing is a sign of stress. She may be doing it to adjust to her surroundings, if the other shrimp disappeared it sounds like this is not an ideal environment for them. What are your parameters? How did you acclimate? Is the tank heavily planted? Is the tank brand new or has it been established for a long time? How many guppies are in it and how big is the tank? It’s really not ideal to keep fish with blue velvet shrimp. Unlike Amanos, which are larger, faster, and more competitive, blue velvets are much smaller and slower. If the guppies pick on them this will cause major stress and you will find that they will hide a lot. You should consider setting up a separate tank for them. If the guppies don’t eat them, the stress of them may shorten the lifespan of the blue velvet shrimp or cause them to die outright.
Temperature is 76 degrees
pH is 7.6
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates never get to or above 40ppm

I floated the bags to acclimate them and slowly added water, emptied half the bag, and added more tank water, took around an hour and 15 minutes. The tank does not have live plants, just moss balls. The tank took about 2 months to fishless cycle, and has had fish in it for about a month and a half, so it’s been running for about 3 and a half months. There are 6 male guppies, and the tank is a 15 gallon Fluval Flex. When I ordered the blue velvets I thought they would be big enough to not get eaten, but most of the the blue velvets I received were incredibly small, but a couple of them were a decent size. The larger ones I received are fine, they don’t hide from the guppies, they constantly explore the tank and are still the same deep blue color they were when they arrived. I just don’t know why this one shrimp is completely clear. I’ll continue to monitor it everyday. It does seem to be healthy, active, and normal, it’s color just isn’t right.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Cole23 said:
Temperature is 76 degrees
pH is 7.6
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are 0
Nitrates never get to or above 40ppm

I floated the bags to acclimate them and slowly added water, emptied half the bag, and added more tank water, took around an hour and 15 minutes. The tank does not have live plants, just moss balls. The tank took about 2 months to fishless cycle, and has had fish in it for about a month and a half, so it’s been running for about 3 and a half months. There are 6 male guppies, and the tank is a 15 gallon Fluval Flex. When I ordered the blue velvets I thought they would be big enough to not get eaten, but most of the the blue velvets I received were incredibly small, but a couple of them were a decent size. The larger ones I received are fine, they don’t hide from the guppies, they constantly explore the tank and are still the same deep blue color they were when they arrived. I just don’t know why this one shrimp is completely clear. I’ll continue to monitor it everyday. It does seem to be healthy, active, and normal, it’s color just isn’t right.
How small is it? Could it be a blue velvet shrimplet? Blue velvet can produce blond.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Those markings tell me thats an Amano shrimp
Edit
Sorry Cole somehow I missed the last sentence saying the one photo was amano, :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Its a hard life now to have s closer look at thd others but I think its been covered

OP
C

Cole23

Reactions
I just thoroughly looked through my entire tank. There are 3 blue velvets that are dark blue, and one clear shrimp the size of the blue velvets. This clear shrimp is shaped differently than the blue velvets it’s not as thick and round as the other blue velvets, it’s about the same length though. It looks like a miniature version of one of my Amanos, but I know from reading on here that it can’t be a baby amano because only the adults live in freshwater. Here’s a picture of my 3 blue velvets and my 1 clear shrimp, they’re the same size just completely different colors, all seem healthy though. It doesn’t seem stressed at all.

Attachments

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Cole23 said:
I just thoroughly looked through my entire tank. There are 3 blue velvets that are dark blue, and one clear shrimp the size of the blue velvets. This clear shrimp is shaped differently than the blue velvets it’s not as thick and round as the other blue velvets, it’s about the same length though. It looks like a miniature version of one of my Amanos, but I know from reading on here that it can’t be a baby amano because only the adults live in freshwater. Here’s a picture of my 3 blue velvets and my 1 clear shrimp, they’re the same size just completely different colors, all seem healthy though. It doesn’t seem stressed at all.
Shrimp do change color sometimes, I would be worried if she doesn’t change back after 24 hours tho. As for acclimation they seem fine, but for future notice drip acclimation is preferred for shrimp. It’s good the blues are behaving normally, I assumed they were being picked on if the smaller shrimp were eaten. It’s possible the smaller shrimp are hiding somewhere, check your tank at night, I don’t think they would have been eaten that easily if the adults aren’t being picked on

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I cant see any shrimp loosing all colour at that size, I dont think that is a blue i think it may have hitchhiked with them i know they can loose colour when stressed and moved but not to this extent, its a different shrimp

OP
C

Cole23

Reactions
richiep said:
I cant see any shrimp loosing all colour at that size, I dont think that is a blue i think it may have hitchhiked with them i know they can loose colour when stressed and moved but not to this extent, its a different shrimp
You could be right, but every fish and invertebrate I added to my tank I added them one by one so I knew how many I had. The only shrimp I added was 6 large Amanos and 8 blue velvets, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see if it grows so I can identify it as something else.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
believe me cole it's so easy to miss a very small clear shrimp you wont even know its in the bag, saying that it will be interesting to see how it transforms over the next few months

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a larval shrimp or even a low quality blue shrimplet.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a larval shrimp or even a low quality blue shrimplet.

New Threads